• Tue., Sep. 02, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:45 AM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM CDT Packers at Seattle Seahawks Packers at Seattle Seahawks
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Jared Abbrederis appearance Packers WR Jared Abbrederis is scheduled to make an appearance at PBIS Sunrise School in Appleton, Wis., on Friday, September 5, from 2-3 p.m.
  • Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Brandon Bostick appearance Brandon Bostick is scheduled to appear at Walmart (located at 2440 W. Mason Street, Green Bay) on Tuesday, September 9, from 5-7 p.m.
  • Sun., Sep. 14, 2014 11:25 AM - 3:25 PM CDT Coats for Kids collection The Salvation Army will be collecting new and gently used winter coats as well as cash donations in the parking lot and at each of Lambeau Field’s gates.
  • Sun., Sep. 14, 2014 3:25 PM - 6:30 PM CDT Packers vs. New York Jets Packers vs. New York Jets

Packers go defense again with Worthy pick

Posted by Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor on April 27, 2012 – 7:25 pm

The Packers addressed their need for a young defensive end by targeting, trading up and selecting Michigan State’s Jerel Worthy in the second round of Friday’s NFL Draft. Worthy, 6-2, 308, was ranked by several draft services as a potential first-round pick. The Packers selected him with the 19th pick of the second round, following a trade with the Eagles.

The Packers surrendered their fourth-round pick, No 123 overall, to the Eagles to move up eight slots from 59 to 51 and nab Worthy.

Worthy became the second consecutive defensive player picked by the Packers in this draft. The Packers, of course, are trying to repair a defense that finished last in the league in 2011.

Worthy started 38 games in three seasons for the Spartans, all at left defensive tackle. He recorded 12 sacks and 27 1/2 tackles for loss. He was a first-team All-America selection by a number of publications last season, the first MSU defensive lineman to be named first-team All-America by The Associated Press since “Bubba” Smith in 1966.

A native of Dayton, Ohio, Worthy most likely projects as a defensive end in the Packers’ 3-4 defensive scheme.

Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “Packers go defense again with Worthy pick”

1. By John on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Ted must really like this guy with his BAP philosophy and with Konz still on the board!

2. By Displace Packer Fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Great pick. I would have been alright with Still too, but trading up the right move. I really wanted another DE, and now we don’t have to have Neal be what we hoped, though if he does turn it around this team should have a solid pass rush for years to come.

I’m cool if we go offense with next pick(especially if Konz is still there) though I still see some decent corners on the board, and a few more backers/linemen and you can never have enough pass rushers. :)

3. By Kevin on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Great pick! We are really improving our pass rush and we are looking much better than last season. I would love for us to trade up again to nab either Konz or Trumaine Johnson but I won’t get too carried away.

4. By Kal on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like the pick seems to be a younger version of cullen jenkins we were pretty good when he played end.

5. By David J on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Worthy is a good pick. I say we grab Trumaine Johnson, Peprah’s replacement.

6. By bill on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

konz is gone now 3rd round should be a corner or OL

7. By Sully on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Safety, safety, safety

8. By Lombardi on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

In the 3-4, d-lineman hold their gaps and suck up double teams, pass rushing is not a priority. Worthy is possibly the most stout DT in the draft. Excellent grab for the Pack. Actually, a very lucky grab, he should have been gone earlier. Worthy is a legit bottom round 1 or high round 2 pick. Gave up a fourth round but worth it.

9. By Michael on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Any Badger fan can attest to seeing WAAAAAAY too much of this guy…he is an absolute monster…will be nice to be able to root FOR him now…at first I wanted Crick because he is a better rusher…but I think TT chose this guy because at his size, stacking him in front of Clay or Nick…the O-line will have to double team Worthy…which means Clay can once again go one-on-one…I like this pick

10. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

POWERFUL 1st step… disrupts the OL… and handles double teams consistently. 2 men on Raji… 2 men on Worthy…. leave only 1 OL and a back to block BOTH Matthews and Nick Perry. Yea.. not happening… I see another Super Bowl in the near future for the NFL’s Leading NFL Championship team (13 NFL Championships and counting!!!)

11. By Bart on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Draft a CB and move Woodson to Safety.

12. By Sully on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Stoked about the picks so far, think the secondary could use some love now

13. By Randall Banks on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

As a die hard Packer fan who lives just over 6 miles from Michigan State, I’m stoked. This guy is a great add for the D-Line. He was great this past season he was around the ball a heck of a lot and has a real nose for the ball, finding runners and QBs. Excellent pick. good job Pack

14. By Ben on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

We need a corner! Woodson is too slow to run with #1 WRs. He is a natural move to SS, therefore we won’t need to draft one.

15. By beloitcowboy on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Could this mean flipping CM3 back to the right side? The base could be Worthy-Pickett-Raji-Perry-Matthews. Pretty good front pairing rookies with vets.

16. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

considering how Dom Capers uses Woodson now… he practically already is a SS.

17. By Leonardo on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy. I love how Ted is fortifying our defense! Even the trade-up to get worthy was genius. It only cost a 4th rounder, and we already have two comp picks in a row a few spots down. With 9 picks remaining, another trade-up into the middle of the 3rd might be a good idea.

18. By Dale on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

We definitely need a OLB to compliment Matthews. Hopefully they nab one, or one of the drafted DEs can play both positions.

19. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Remember, moving up is only good if you grab a great pick and match value.
    Knowing TT though I have no doubt he’ll grab the right man regardless of where he picks!

20. By Displaced Packer Fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if Trumaine Johnson might be around at 90 still. I know he played corner, but I think he would be a great safety (and he might be able to play corner in the NFL as well). The two 4th rounders we have are compensatory so can’t trade them, but I wouldn’t mind if they moved up to grab him.

Jones or Blake should still be there for one of those 4h round picks to get a development center.

That would fill all our needs. Grab a development QB at some point, maybe another corner maybe Brooks in the 4th or 5th.

I’m happy with the draft, I was happy with last years too though. :)

21. By Wiems on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Shouted for joy when this pick was announced. With Worthy and Raji, we now have two FORCES to assist our linebackers. I have a feeling Hawk might benefit the most out this deal…sweet pick, and GO PACK!

22. By Khaatim Boyd on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I love that Jerel wa sjust drafted by us! His mother works for my grandfather and I told her back in 2010 he would be a Packer one day. Looks like I was right.

23. By Dale on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I like beloitcowboy’s, as well as Leonardo’s comments. we need a huge boost in the DL.
    They could nab a good safety in the later rounds (especially with the 9 remaining picks.)

24. By Gary on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

The first two picks will theb dline and the dbs.Now lets get a safty or a ol men. lets go pack superbowl boound, So far so good TT.

25. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I gotta say… since TT came to town I haven’t been unsatisfied with a draft. I remember in the early 2000s and late 90s I often found myself saying “meh”

ooohh.. just heard the pack traded up again!

26. By derrtony on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

gb just traded up

27. By Allen on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

This is a very good pick he is a force and should make that d line better. Could also help out in the run defense and allow the line backers to make the plays.

28. By Rich on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Wanted Konz! Saturday is getting old and may only play one season Konz was the guy to get! Also wished they signed Tolbert as FA, PERFECT for packers, good goal line guy who is both a good rec. and blocker! Perfect guy for Rogers!!!!

29. By Dan A on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Great pick….Worthy will certainly add the necessary pass rush we missed last season. Now a Safety! Go Pack!!

30. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

A CORNER? Oh man… Woodson’s replacement eventually… Evidence Wood is moving to saftey?

31. By derrtony on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

another guy for the defense… cb vandy.. nice night ted…

32. By Sully on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Way to go TT, keep dealing

33. By Dan A on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Another excellent draft choice. He has the coverage skills and speed to be a true CB. With Woodson tutorship he will be another good CB for the fuure.

34. By Displaced Packer Fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Oooh another good trade to get Hayword. While Bentley and Robinson are both decent too, there is a drop off after that, and I don’t think anyone else in this draft is better than House who is sitting on the roster already. None of them would have been around by pick 90, so they had to move to get a CB better than what they already had I think.

35. By Sully on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

If Pack is planning to move Woods I hope they do him right! He’s earned it. In the past he hasn’t been a fan of this move.

36. By Gary on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

TT is the man we are going in the right dirction with the deffence.Now what will TT do from here, so far an awesome draft. Go Pack Go. TT is the best.

37. By Leonardo on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

After the trade with New England to get Hayward, we’re out of 5th round picks, but since we have 4 in the 7th, Ted may just fight his way back in there. He’s certainly become more aggressive over the last few drafts, so I wouldn’t hold it past him to keep trading. Good draft so far. I wouldn’t mind addressing the O-line and perhaps a RB. Save QB for the late rounds and hope to land another Flynn. Or see if the Browns let McCoy go for cheap.

38. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

He talked about being willing to make such a move to get Asimoga? (No idea how to spell his name) from the Raiders. I’m sure they would talk to him about it. Wood is family… The pack know how to take care of family and keep the teams best interests in hand.

39. By Joe on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

YES!! YES!! YES!!(Daniel Bryan) Loving these pics. Addressing the needs to perfection. And just like the last several years, TT and MM’s patience is paying off tremendously. They didn’t trade up too far for guys that will jump in and contribute immediately!! Woodson can now move to Safety, and Sam Shields has some legit competition at CB to bring out the best in both of them. Maybe draft a replacement for Clifton, and gamble on some late rounds Safety’s, RB’s, and maybe even a back up QB like Kirk Cousins or Russel Wilson.

40. By Gary on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

TT is the man. Great move TT now we have made are defense back where we need to be.CB,DE, and OLB cover everything we needed. Go Pack Go. TT is the best.

41. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

TT.. best thing to happen to Green Bay… why? Without TT no Wood… no Rodgers.. no Mike McCarthy, Williams, Matthews, and the list goes on and on and on

42. By Tim on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Remember, TT has had a knack of getting amazing players in later rounds and in undrafted free agents – you guys ever hear of scott wells (7th round) Desmond Bishop (6ht round), Tramon Williams (undrafted)… Have faith…

43. By vulcan357 on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

You people need a reality check. These guys are draft picks. They aren’t saviors yet. They haven’t even made the team. I’ll wait and see how they work out. I see no reason to be impressed until they show me something. Good in college doesn’t necessarily mean good in the NFL.

44. By Sully on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Live long and prosper dude, isn’t there a parade in Chicago you can rain on?

45. By Prasino on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

We Need a GOOD POUND FOR POUND” BEAST” RUNNING BACK!!! Like a Ahmen Green……. Are running backs are VERY WEAK!!,

46. By darthviper3k on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

vulcan you are very accurate.. however… #1 TT is a great drafter… #2 the Couching staff in GB is GREAT at developing draft picks… #2… GB is a team eho’s starting line up is made up of, what is it… 70%+ players that TT acquired in either the draft or undrafted free-agency.
    I think I’ve had my reality check.

47. By Prasino on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

We neeeeed HULK!!!!!!!! He Would be the Best Running Back!!!! ;) lol

48. By IPBprez on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Dunno about this pick, people. Packer Report’s Scout was offhanded about his comments… Said the guy is suspect.
    Quote:
    Only once did he post more than four tackles in a game and he “produced” just one stop in each of the Florida Atlantic, Central Michigan games and was completely shut out vs. the Iowa Hawkeyes’ dominant offensive line.

You tell me. What do they se in this guy?

49. By mikessamplechurchblog on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Pass rush wins the trophy. Aaron Rodgers might win another (or two).

50. By Number 1 packer fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Hate this pick. But that’s just me. Hes lazy as all hell. I stood up and booed this pick

51. By JBinVB on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

IPBprez … don’t put so much stock in one offshoot “scout report.” For the heck of it, I went back and looked at various CMIII scout reports … it was a hoot. Not exact quotes, but off the top of my head: “Too small to play OLB in the NFL,” “a reach in the 1st round,” “maybe the 4th or 5th best OLB prospect,” “can’t play the run,” “high motor but just doesn’t have the strength to hold the edge,” etc, etc. Also, much like in the NFL, defensive line positions (with the exception of ends in the 4-3) are not not big stat positions … Worthy was frequently eaten up with double teams. And if he struggled against a good Iowa OL, he ate up an even better WI OL on a bigger stage in the Big 10 Championship Game. He was a one man wrecking crew. Impossible to accurately predict any prospect really and, sure, he could bomb, but I think his ceiling is high and he could eaithe feast on single team blocks or “earn” double teams on occasion that would free up Raji/Matthews/Perry

52. By Number 1 packer fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Booooooooooo

53. By Mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Thank you. We need you big guy go in there and shore up the edge of the line so the pass rushers can do their thing. We need to hit on another corner and an o-lineman too. Maybe transition Woodson to safety to help out the corners and he looked a little slow last year for the position.