• Sat., Apr. 26, 2014 8:00AM - 6:00PM CDT Packers Pro Shop Tent Sale

The sale is taking place earlier than in previous years, due to the construction at Lambeau Field and the work that the Pro Shop team must complete in preparation for the new store, which will open this summer. Visitors to Lambeau Field should enter the Atrium through the Oneida Nation Gate. Parking is available in the lot on Lambeau Field’s east side near the Oneida Nation Gate, which can be accessed off Oneida Street and Lombardi Avenue.

The sale will feature the traditional mix of Pro Shop items greatly reduced in price and other special purchases.

The team’s football operations staff also has provided Packers team apparel no longer in use, including a large assortment of t-shirts, shorts, jackets, jerseys and pants. Some items are practice-worn gear not normally available in the Pro Shop.

The tent sale began in 1994 in the parking lot outside the former Pro Shop on the north end of Lambeau Field and grew into a popular event. Now in its 11th year in the Atrium, the tent sale also was held in the west side stadium concourse in previous years.

• Sat., May. 10, 2014 7:00PM CDT Eddie Lacy appearance 22nd Annual Doug Jirschele Memorial Sports Award Banquet
  • Sat., Jun. 07, 2014 8:30AM - 3:30PM CDT JPP Kids Clinic

The 17th annual Junior Power Pack Kids Clinic is set for Saturday, June 7, 2014 in the Don Hutson Center with sessions ranging from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The Junior Power Pack Clinic gives members ages 5-14 years old the opportunity to practice football skills and drills with other Packers backers and a few up-and-coming Packers players.  Parents/Guardians are welcome to come and watch their child/ren participate in the clinic.

Members may choose one of three sessions to attend:

• Session 1 – 8:30 to 10 a.m.
    • Session 2 – 11 to 12:30 p.m.
    • Session 3 – 2 to 3:30 p.m.

The event will be held inside the Don Hutson Center, the Packers indoor practice facility. Parking for the event is available in the lot on Lambeau Field’s east side near the Oneida Nation Gate.

The Junior Power Pack Clinic is a member’s only event and will have a registration fee of $5.

Deadline to register:

• New Members – May 11, 2014
    • Current Members – May 18, 2014

To sign up to become a member of the Junior Power Pack and receive an invitation to the clinic fans can go to www.packers.com/jpp.

• Sat., Jun. 14, 2014 2:30PM CDT Jerry Parins Cruise for Cancer

The eleventh annual Jerry Parins Cruise for Cancer motorcycle ride will be held, rain or shine, on Saturday, June 14, 2014. The ride will start at Vandervest Harley-Davidson (1966 Velp Avenue, Green Bay) and will make a fun-filled stop at the Seymour Fireman's Picnic, held at the Outagamie County Fairgrounds in Seymour.

Ride Day Schedule

• 9-10:30 am: Registration at Vandervest Harley-Davidson, Geen Bay
    • 11 am: Depart Vandervest Harley-Davidson, Green Bay
    • 12 pm: Arrive in Seymour. Enjoy food, beverages, entertainment and a short program.
    • 2:30 pm: Party kicks off at the new South Endzone Festival Foods MVP Deck at Lambeau Field! Guests can access the space by way of the Shopko Gate. See the field and enjoy the atmosphere from this beautiful indoor/outdoor space newly opened and accessed by very few. The party will include silent and live auction, food, beverages, music and merchandise available for purchase.

More information: http://cruiseforcancer.org/

• Sat., Aug. 09, 2014 7:00PM - 10:00PM CDT Packers at Tennessee Titans Packers at Tennessee Titans
  • Sat., Aug. 16, 2014 3:00PM - 6:00PM CDT Packers at St. Louis Rams Packers at St. Louis Rams

Thompson discusses Clifton, Collins

Posted by Mike Spofford on April 27, 2012 – 9:56 pm

During his remarks to the media on Friday evening, GM Ted Thompson was asked to comment on the what veteran players Chad Clifton and Nick Collins, who were released this past week, meant to the Packers. Here’s what Thompson said:

“They are the epitome of our franchise. Chad Clifton came in as a second-round pick and has played for a very long time at a position that’s of premium value in the National Football League, the left tackle position. He’s battled through some injuries but rarely did he really miss time up until this past year. You can’t know how comforting it is to know that you have your left tackle and you don’t have to worry about him.

“Nick Collins came from a small college, Bethune-Cookman, (small) by NCAA standards. There were people that doubted him when he came in. He did nothing but impress us. He started from Day 1. In a very shortened career, I think he went to three Pro Bowls. It would have been many, many more. Both are good men. Both are good family men. They’re what we’re looking for. That’s what we’d like these young men that we drafted today to be.”

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “Thompson discusses Clifton, Collins”

1. By Jim G on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

If Nick was cleared by doctors, why was he cut? Love the Pack, but they must be the first team in history to deny a player the ability to play based on their feeling that he is “family” and they want to protect his future. What about Nick who has to feed his family, and shareholders who gave serious money to support team for on the field performance? If he is willing to risk it, and doctors have cleared him, why not have him sign release and let him live his dream. Now what, he signs with the Bears? Yikes. Bring back Atari!

2. By Dave J on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

Football is a small part of life. I agree with the Collins decision to release rather than him play and 10 years later he can’t walk. Gonna miss him incredibly as with Clifton. TT said it best, perfect guys you want in the locker room.

3. By Colby B on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

@Jim G if Collins went for a tackle, there could be a chance that he doesn’t get up from it. The Packers organization didn’t want to take that chance and would rather secure the safety of Nick.

4. By JRPfeff on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I selfishly would love to see Nick Collins play again for the Packers. But the risk is too great for the man and his family.

5. By Number 1 packer fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

@Jim G. The doctors basically said “you can play but we don’t recommend it, you would do more harm to yourself if you continued to play”

6. By Andy G on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

I would’ve loved to see Collins return but I have to agree with TT and McCarthy in that I wouldn’t want him playing if he were my son. I will be very interested to see who will be our other starting safety next to Burnett. Moving up to take Hayward might signal the intent to move Woodson to safety. I guess we’ll see…

7. By mike on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

this is what makes the pack the best team in the NFL

8. By dan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

They don’t want to risk playing Nick because its a matter of life and death. An injury of that sort with the neck could ultimately paralyze him or even worse kill him. The Packers are doing the right thing and being smart on this decision. They are in the best interest of Nick because this could effect more then just his football c

9. By Number 1 packer fan on Apr 27, 2012 | Reply

agreed

10. By mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

jim g see ,Sterling Sharpe,tim lewis.

11. By Nathan Farrar on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nick has been my favorite player on the D for years. I’m really sad to know that were not going to see his career develop further. I think myself along with Packer Nation is going to miss seeing number 36 fly around the field.

12. By Chad G on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Jim G. The decision to play should have been left up to Nick. I realize playing is a potential risk, but that’s up to Nick to decide. He is perfectly capable of making his own decisions regarding his body. I’m not sure if Nick wanted to give it a try, but the Packers should have waited longer to find out.

13. By Scott on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Jim G:
    I believe you have it all wrong. You are seeing this from the perspective of ‘I would rather have a good player on the field, even if it does kill him’. TT has it right, don’t be complicit in a man’s self-destruction. Athletes, especially young athletes, think they are indestuctible. I see it in my practice every day. You can’t stop Nick from making a bad decision, you can only take yourself out of the position of enabling him. If he chooses to make a bad decision, at least you didn’t have a hand in it. Might help you sleep at night. This injury is not one he should continue playing with.

14. By Rick P. on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Chad was a great soldier and will be missed at a very important position. Best of luck Chad. Nick sustained a serious neck injury and I think he is smart enough to know that playing is not an option. We could sure use him in our defensive backfield, but at what cost ? Best of luck Nick.

15. By Marty on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The decision with Collins is a good one. Sure, Peyton Manning had the same surgery, but Peyton also going to take on average, 3-4 hits per game. Collins would be literally putting his neck on the line every time he put his helmet down. Neck fusion surgery is no joke! GL Nick, you’re always a Packer in my book.

16. By Dave on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Wow, there are some incredibly selfish Packer fans here. Scott is right on, how could TT and MM play him knowing that if he got hurt, it was because they played him? It would take a very cold heart to just sit back and say, well, it was HIS choice, even though we knew it was a poor choice, but we needed a safety, and darn it, Jim G didn’t seem to care about the risk and wanted to see him play. It’s not about Collins’ life, family, etc. it’s all about Jim G enjoying himself.

17. By John on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m glad that Nick got the opportunity to make a play in the Super Bowl that we can define his career by.

18. By andy c on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think Sapp owes Chad C. at least a half years salary, if not more. That cheap-shot artist probably shortened what surely would have been a Hall of Fame career.

19. By Gary Rowland on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree with Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy. Nick Collins was a play maker and got better every year. nick will be hard to replace. When healthy there wasn’t a better left tackle in the NFL. Both players will always be a Green Bay Packer.

20. By Artw60 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m kinda hoping they (GB) see the value in Nick and bring him to the front office. I’m sure he is of value to the organization!!!!

21. By glblank on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I was wondering if the Sapp thing would come up. Cliffy’s health issues were his knees, not his pelvis and in the end, Sapp undid himself, bankrupt and boorish to the end.

22. By franks on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

It is sad to see Nick’s carrer in Green Bay cut short by a injury. he will be missed.

23. By Kevin(Chi-Town)PackerBacker on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nick and Chad are true representatives of The Green Bay Organization. It would be of value to keep these guys around the organization now that it appears they are done with thier playing carreer. There are not enough THANKS to go around for these guys. It’s been a true pleasure to watch them fight for The Green and Gold,and to put it all out there on gameday for us Packer Fans. Nick, and Chad, We Thank you !!!!

24. By Percy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry to see them go and I want to thank them. It’s not the frist time the packer have done this I remeber Steriling Sharpe. He should be in the HOF with his brouther. but I belive he hurt his neck too and the Packers decided to let him go.that part of what I like about GB they care about thier players Agian I say THANK YOU NICK and CHAD THE VERY BEST TO YOU BOUTH!!

25. By Jacob on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I agree. I am glad they let Nick go, but I am very sad to see him gone. He was a great playmaker on the field, but I would rather have him safe with his family then risking his life on the field. Good luck to both of you, and thanks for wearing the Green and Gold!