• Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 8:20 AM - 10:20 AM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM CDT Live McCarthy press conference Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to media in the Lambeau Field Media Auditorium.
  • Wed., Jul. 30, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM CDT Live Thompson press conference General Manager Ted Thompson will be available to media in the Lambeau Field Media Auditorium.
  • Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 8:20 AM - 10:20 AM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.
  • Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 11:00 AM - 11:30 AM CDT Live McCarthy press conference Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to media in the Lambeau Field Media Auditorium.
  • Thu., Jul. 31, 2014 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT PPCC Annual Reception

The Packers Partners Annual Reception is set for Thursday, July 31, 2014 in the Lambeau Field Atrium from 4:00 PM- 7:00 PM.

Packers Jarrett Boykin, Eddie Lacy, Datone Jones and DuJuan Harris will appear at the reception. The event will include a Player Guest Q&A, a Meet & Greet with a Packers Alumni and a Raffle Drawing.

This is a member’s only event. Invitations will be mailed the week of June 23rd, and online registration will open at 9 am CDT on June 25th and will close on July 11th at 5 pm CDT.

Invitations will include all of this information and additional details.

To sign up to become a member of the Packers Partners Club of Champions and receive an invitation to the reception, fans can go to www.packers.com/ppcc.

Maine safety is fifth straight on defense

Posted by Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor on April 28, 2012 – 12:58 pm

Defense, defense.

Yeah, for a fifth consecutive pick, the Packers stayed on the defensive side of the ball, selecting Maine safety Jerron McMillian, 5-11, 203. McMillian was picked with the 133rd overall selection, the second of back to back picks by the Packers in the fourth round.

McMillian is a second team All-America. He started each of the last three years and recorded three interceptions over the last two seasons. In those last two years, he also made 16 tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

Tags: ,

50 Responses to “Maine safety is fifth straight on defense”

1. By Kal on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

We now should officially be better on defense now lets get two ol 1 rb 1qb and we should be done. We picked one player for every position on defense damn thats awesome

2. By Phillip from Tulsa on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

TT tends to be good at finding gems late. Lets see if he can do it again. If we can get a center and a guard or two and a running back I think we are good.

I think with Harrell and Hill competing for the number two at qb we should be fine.

3. By kyle murphy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The Packers must see something in this guy hope he can be come what we need?

4. By james1965 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

huh

5. By Phillip from Tulsa on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think there were definatly better safties left on the board. But I thought that about WR when we selected Nelson in 08 and I like how that turned out.

6. By Harry on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@Kal
    The packers have picked 2 DT 1 DE 1 DB 1 SS.
    They haven’t pick LB..But all great picks..

7. By james1965 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

no gems at safty come under 6 ft..

8. By Phillip from Tulsa on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@ Harry

Perry will play OLB opposite Mathews. So even though he is listed DE, we tech got our OLB

9. By allmyroads on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

As a resident of Maine and die-hard Packer fan… I couldn’t be happier with this pick!

10. By Kirk on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Perry will play OLB, maybe DE on passing downs

11. By Bryce on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@harry, that DE is going to be an OLB not a de in our scheme. Watch the safties combine, hes not bad, hes agile. Molk is available at center, some guards, either option u can cross train.. looks good to me.

12. By karlpk on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

How can anyone complain? We have no idea of how these guys will turn out but Thompson has a history of making great finds all over the place.
    I trust Ted a lot more than I trust the free analyses you can find everywhere on the web for free. I guess when andif they don’t pan out well, complain. Right now however the season is a long way a way, OTA’s are up and I’m looking forward to another great year of following this great franchise.

13. By Displaced Packer Fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I think he was a bit of a reach but his raw athletic ability that showed in his workouts could easily have lead the Pack to see him as the best safety left on the board. He has great special teams potential and is at a position that needs depth. So figuring he wouldn’t be there in the 6th, I understand the pick.

Like Kal I think some developmental OL in the late rounds and a flyer on a QB (worked well with Flynn) makes a lot of sense, but at this stage (6th and 7th round picks they have left) you just roll the dice based on the potential you’ve seen. You hope you get a Flynn or Driver or Tauscher, but realize you likely got a Brandon Underwood or Ingle Martin or Will Whitticker. It’s just how the draft goes. We’ve got good position coaches that can generally get the best out of most players so start rolling the dice Ted. :)

14. By Harry on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@Phillip
    Your correct my bad..

15. By hatfis on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

for all of you who think this guy is gonna be bad cuz he came from a small school are jokers nick Collins came from a smaller school and im sure all of you said the same thing. so be quite and give the kid a chance

16. By a.cox on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

nick collins is listed under 6 ft.

looks kinda like atari bigby

what a draft. bada ba ba baaaaa

17. By Joe Weiss on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Is everyone nuts?! The guy is an All-American and with Peprah and Burnett both having logged quality safety hours, there is absolutely no reason to worry. When will everyone learn?

18. By Kirk on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I like McMillan’s dreadlocks !!!! ;-)

19. By Milton on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I agree, I thought there were better safeties out there and I wanted them to take Antonio Allen but TT must see something that most don’t. Only time will tell. But overall very solid draft for what we needed. GO PACK GO!

20. By Allen on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

No gems at safety come under 6 feet. Must not think much of Nick Collins.

21. By John on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

PackersWorld Last I checked, you are commenting on a draft article, not in a draft room. I trust TT’s instincts just a bit more than your deflating outlook on his draft thanks to two fourth round picks. Collins came from Bethume-Cook, no one saw what TT saw in him. Lets not jump the gun just yet.

22. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@James1965: What do you know about anything regarding drafting and evaluating NFL talent, nothing other wise you would probably be in a draft room right now working.

I like the draft we’ve had so far, addressing clear and present need. The D from the superbowl year is still pretty much in tact so the first 3 rounds tweaked some things, these last rounds adding depth.I don’t feel like these guys are as big name and bona fided as the first 3 but like one guy said about Jordy, and another guy said about TT fiding gems, I believe in the Greenbay system. Go Pack Go!!

23. By Mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Someone must know something that every other analysts doesn’t. I hope! Was hoping for RB-Chris Polk

24. By Displaced Packer Fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

@Mike I think it’s pretty clear the Packers feel they can get enough production out of Starks and Alex Green, with Saine being a back up. I would prefer to have a stronger running game as well, but the last two years with a Super Bowl ring and a 15-1 regular season make it clear that this offense doesn’t need better running. That still doesn’t mean I don’t think it could add more value to the team.

I’m OK with it, I’m guessing we’ll see a few UDFA runners scooped up after the draft too to see if there might be an Arian Foster lurking out there that every missed on the draft day. Or I can hope. :)

25. By vijayswearingen on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

George Iloka and Antonio Allen were still on the board when this pick went through….remember that because this guy apparently will have a better career than both of them. Also Chris Polk was still available here as well, wait and see but I’m not enthused. The theme of all of their picks is guys who create tackles for loss…I guess they do draft for need after all.

26. By Tim on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Allen –

Nick Collins is 5’11” I’d say he was a gem

27. By Wyorolo27 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Some of you are failing to realize that Nick Perry is going to play outside linebacker. So we have indeed drafted someone for every level of the defense.

28. By BMas on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Good picks early. Questionable picks late (mainly the Safety from Maine). Time will tell but I think we missed on a high quality safety and could’ve gotten a pretty good RB. By the way Joe Weiss, Peprah has logged several hours of missing tackles and getting burned.

29. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

PackersWorld what are you talking about? These negative comments are killing me, you people sitting at home trying to do Ted’s job need to leave your fancard on his desk and get out of the Packer Nation because with fans like you we don’t need the rest of the NFC North.

I like the comment vijayswearingen made, because that is absolutely correct. What was a major problem we had last year, tackling, and all these guys are tackling machines! If these 3-4 picks become starters/ major contributors, this team is gearing up for a, mark my words, unprecedented 3 straight SB Champion run!

30. By evilclosetmonkey on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I wanted Iloka but I’m not a professional, I’ll wait and see how the kid plays. In Ted We Trust.

31. By Wyorolo27 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Nice comment Nate! Spoken like a true fan.

32. By Packersfan85 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

DOn’t forget we did draft a rb last year Alex Gree, he got hurt so didn’t play much I think he can shine this year with Starks and saine. We don’t really need to draft a rb this year. We should get some o line depth and another qb for depth

33. By Joe Weiss on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I disagree about Peprah just getting burnt. You’re talking about the safety who played in the Super Bowl and he gets to the ball. Clay Matthews missed a few tackles last year. Guys beat Woddson and Tramon. Am I ready to replace them?

34. By evilclosetmonkey on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

More O-Line depth, more defense, and maybe a 7th round flyer on a QB. That’s my wish list. Bring in a bunch of undrafted RBs for camp and see if you can find a contributor. You can get decent RBs anywhere.

35. By Patrick on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Y’all need to get a life.

I say that with respect to my fellow Packers fans.
    Why do you know who this guy is, or how he compares to Joe Salami or David Cheeseburger?!

36. By Jonathan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Have they forgot last year? The OL sucked period. How many times did Rodgers get rushed or sacked? Why are we wasting so many picks on D when we should be worrying about protecting the QB. Mark my words next year if Rodgers is not injured it will be a miracle unless we pick up some OL late in the draft.

37. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah, I agree on the whole RB topic. I like Starks a lot, and I think Alex Green is a potentially explosive guy as well, with Kuhn and Saine we have all the horsepower we need, in my opinion, I would like to see some OL depth, draft and develope guys, especially with Saturday in the locker room now, a vet like that has so much knowledge to share!

A OL or two, and possibly another DL to bolster competition at the 3-4 Defensive End in Capers scheme, and this draft will be a wrap, solid A!

P.S I counted 3 more picks because think Ted might try and trade back into the bottom of 5th round or higher in the 6th, so that would cost either that 6 and 7 or that 7. Either way this draft is a SUCCESS!!!

38. By Joe Weiss on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

You are crazy! The line was beat up but they played well through injuries and we had the best offense we’ve had in years. Rodgers got hit a little because he scrambles. You just asked why we are “wasting” picks on the worst statistical defense of all time.

39. By zrboldt on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I’d have to agree @Joe Weiss – Peprah is not the greatest but he is serviceable. I think we all agree an upgrade would be nice. My opinion is that when your have trouble generating pass rush your secondary is going to look bad. Hopefully that will be different this year.

40. By dastardlydan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

every pick is what we needed-our defense last year was awful-in fact it was possibly one of the worst i have seen in 40 years

41. By Mike on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

So far I am pleased with TT picks. I love defense. Although I was hoping Shea mcclellin would still be available in the first round. Damn Bears!

42. By Packersfan85 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

well we came back in the 5th and got a olb, hmm i was hoping o line but in Ted We Trust

43. By steve on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Mike Mayock sucks, he refuses to discuss the Packers picks,,bringing up all these other lame teams.

44. By Nate on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Steve I was just thinking the same thing, Rich asked him to discuss the few Packers’ pick and he talks about the last few Falcon picks. WTF???

Anyways, I called the trade up, and despite all out feeling about OL depth TT and the boys are seemingly saying WE WANT A TOP DEFENSE!!! I ain’t mad at them.

The OL is, in my opinion top 12 in the league. Granted we gave up sacks but A-Rod scrambles a lot, and will squeeze every second out of a collapsing pocket to try and deliver the big play so probably about 10 of those sacks are his fault but I’m in no way complaining, just stating facts. I love A-Rod! We also had lots of shuffling on the OL because of injury last year. I think our line is more than capable, but I would like to see a pick or two at the OL just for depth sakes, But I’m confident that the starting OL for 2012 is the not really gonna change except for Saturday!

45. By dmartin23 on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I welcome any all-american safety to our defense after suffering thru Peprah and Bush for that matter missing tackles and chasing wide-open receivers. My god, that was sickening.

46. By T on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

The height of the D Backs is not good –where are the tall
    guys??

47. By The REAL displaced Packer Fan on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

TT’s got to have some plans for offensive players in the 7th, and as UDFAs. Harnish is still available, as well as BJ Coleman.

48. By Murphy on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Perry is gonna be a LB you morons

49. By TEDDY on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

I HAVE WATCHED MCMILLIAN FOR 4 YEARS.HE IS A GREAT TACKLER.HE IS GOOD VS THE RUN.JUST ASK PITT AND SYRACAUSE.GIVE HIM A CHANCE.HE WAS IN THE CAA AND THAT SAYS ALOT.

50. By D-town on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Yeah so everyone knows which i’m sure those who know football would. A good defensive line that gets constant pressure will make any other aspect of the Defense better because the packers were so poor on the line last year caused the other parts of defense to be overworked. Look at the giants there defense wasn’t the greatest they were just all doing there jobs correctly, which in turn makes them look that much better. The point is with the D-line bolstered watch all the other aspects of the pack improve gonna be fun watching this coming years team. GO Pack GO =)