• Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM CDT Packers at Seattle Seahawks Packers at Seattle Seahawks
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Jared Abbrederis appearance Packers WR Jared Abbrederis is scheduled to make an appearance at PBIS Sunrise School in Appleton, Wis., on Friday, September 5, from 2-3 p.m.
  • Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Brandon Bostick appearance Brandon Bostick is scheduled to appear at Walmart (located at 2440 W. Mason Street, Green Bay) on Tuesday, September 9, from 5-7 p.m.
  • Sun., Sep. 14, 2014 11:25 AM - 3:25 PM CDT Coats for Kids collection The Salvation Army will be collecting new and gently used winter coats as well as cash donations in the parking lot and at each of Lambeau Field’s gates.
  • Sun., Sep. 14, 2014 3:25 PM - 6:30 PM CDT Packers vs. New York Jets Packers vs. New York Jets

McCarthy comments on Clifton, Collins

Posted by Mike Spofford on April 28, 2012 – 6:58 pm

Just as GM Ted Thompson did on Friday, Head Coach Mike McCarthy addressed the release this past week of veterans Chad Clifton and Nick Collins when asked by the media. Here is a transcript of McCarthy’s remarks:

“I tell you, it’s something I will never get used to. That was a hard week, starting with Chad on Monday, and Nick, both obviously medical situations that led to that decision.

“The obvious is how good a player that Chad has been throughout his career, and I look at Nick Collins, I think Nick and Chad will both without a doubt be in the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame. But Nick Collins, if you look at the beginning of his resume, he had a heck of a chance to go to Canton, just the way he was starting in the first half of his career.

“But that really was not the tough part at all, because it wasn’t a professional decision. It was clearly a personal decision, specifically with Nick Collins. Just based on the information as an organization, Ted Thompson and I sat down, and the final question that’s asked is, ‘If Nick was your son, would you let him play?’ And that’s why we made the decision we did.

“The same with Chad. Chad Clifton is going to be missed around here. You’re talking about two great guys in the locker room, wonderful human beings, excellent teammates, two men that we classify as core players. They’re a big part of the way our locker room is. We take a lot of pride in the culture and the way we go about things, and Chad Clifton and Nick Collins exemplified that to the max.”

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “McCarthy comments on Clifton, Collins”

1. By pjrhc on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

Hard decisions to make for sure; but from my chair, it looks wise and good to do the hard things with those men. Both excellent men as well as players. I respect our coach.

2. By Jose on Apr 28, 2012 | Reply

How about we offer these outstanding GB players some Jobs on the Sidelines! Some great knowledge to pass around.

3. By rob on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Both guys were a tremendous addition to the Green and Gold. I eat breath and sleep the most beautiful franchise in the NFL BUT RESPECT, the decisions of TT. Will miss Chad and Nick as they are a part of the storied franchise and loved seeing them in person on the field. They will be missed but never forgotten. GO PACK!!!!!

4. By Gsmiff on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

These decisions had to be hard to make and I truly respect the decision as well as the players. Nick Collins and Chad will prolly go down as two of my favorite players because of the way they represented the Green and Gold on and off the field. I will truly miss both of these guys and I wish the best for both of them and their families. Green Bay Packers fans will forever be grateful for your hardwork and helping the team bring that 4th Lombardi home. We’ll definitely see both of you guys in the Packers HOF. Peace and love!!!!!

5. By Brian on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Whatever the motive or reasoning behind the decision on Nick Collins, his absence creates a big hole in the defense. This was obvious when he went out early last year. His absence made it more difficult for the entire defense to make decisive plays. He will be missed.

6. By Joe on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Its sad to see both of them go for sure. I hope nick hangs up the cleats and doesn’t jeopardize his future health. They should get him on the sidelines with the secondary because he was always in the right position.

7. By Ben on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Well hope coach McCarthy’s “son” doesn’t play for another team…other-wise the decision for his release accomplished nothing.

8. By RedClay on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

A Head Coach & GM of lesser character may have tried to trade collins, to get something out of his leaving while shifting the risk & responsibility to another team. Hats off to MM & TT for taking the high road.

9. By Dennis R Frome on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Did anyone ask Collins or cliffton what they may have wanted or thougt. Before everyone gives credit to TT and MM for taking the so called high road, will this end up to be a mistake?

10. By Pat Kinney on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Coach McCarthy quite correctly observed that both these fine Packers will someday be in the team Hall of Fame. These decisions are never easy. I recall reading in Dave Maraniss’ biograhy of Lombardi how crushed Vince was to release Paul Hornung. I was quite angry with Ted Thompson early on in his tenure over Mike McKenzie’s release and Mike Sherman’s firing. I have changed. I do believe he has in general made wise decisions for the long-term vitality and competitiveness of the team. That includes the transition from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. Additionally I am confident that our team’s management will graciously welcome Brett home at the appropriate time and get him in the Packer Hall of Fame before his inevitable induction at Canton.

11. By Norman on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Dennis, bottom line-Football is a business and this was a good business decision.

12. By Ken on Apr 29, 2012 | Reply

Would there be some way for the Packers to say thank you to these two great players — say, during some sort of MNF halftime ceremony? I’m not talking about retiring their numbers, or even announcing their induction in the Packer Hall of Fame (although that would be great), but just something special that would give the Lambeau fans a chance to show their appreciation. They both deserve it.

13. By Redbolt on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

It is always hard to see players leave – but with both of these two having injuries as such, I only hope they choose to do what is best for their health. Anyone saying otherwise should consider that these are men with families and friends.

I wish Collins and Clifton only the best and will always remember them for their greatness!

14. By green yello on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

jobs for both come on especially collins. hes the kind of guy u want anound your players

15. By MNwillie on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I also wondered about a place for Collins on coaching staff, but that was the sentimental side of me. I recall the knock on him when drafted was he was dumb as a rock and wouldn’t be able to recognize offensive schemes or communicate them. Both turned out to be totally wrong, but it reminds me that what it takes to be a good leader and teacher may not be the same skills that made him a great on the field.

16. By hawk1982 on Apr 30, 2012 | Reply

I too wish both of these fine gentlemen well and hope that they both both realize that there is life after football. I do think/believe that TT & MM made the right choice in both of them, But wished that they would have let them retire instead of being released.

To Chad and Nick, thanks for being great players and in being part of one of the greatest franchises in football history! Take care and God Bless!

17. By Sandy on May 1, 2012 | Reply

God’s blessings to both of these fine men and thank you for the time out of your lives that you gave to the Packers and their fans. We appreciated all that you have given.NOW,please or please do not do this to our Donald. We need and love him! He can still play and is much needed in the locker room.

18. By Michael Overstreet on May 4, 2012 | Reply

This was extremly tough to read without getting a little choked up, ive idolized Nick his entire career and learned a lot jus by watching him. When i think of chad clifton one word comes to mind and thats passion, it goes for both of them these guys arent just average players these guys are legends and i completely disagree with the front office for releasing them at least let them retire. I bleed Green and Yellow Just like these guys do so this one is for them i tip my hat to you gentleman NO matter what Nick and Chad your hall of famers in my book.