• Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 12:45 PM - 1:00 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch) Mark Murphy and Greg Koch are scheduled to appear at the Packers Pro Shop on Wednesday, October 1st, from 2:30-4 p.m.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Paul Coffman appearance Paul Coffman is scheduled to appear at the Bellin Health North Reach flu clinic on Wednesday, October 1, from 5-7 p.m., in Marinette, WI.
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch)

TTZ: Mark Murphy
    Club Level: Greg Koch

• Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 7:25 PM - 10:30 PM CDT Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings (Gold Pkg.) Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings (Gold Pkg.)
  • Thu., Oct. 02, 2014 10:45 PM - 11:15 PM CDT Live McCarthy, Rodgers press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy and QB Aaron Rodgers will be available to the media in the Lambeau Field media auditorium, following the Packers-Vikings matchup.

Packers score impressive win, 42-24

Posted by Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor on October 14, 2012 – 10:40 pm

HOUSTON–The Packers offense exploded for 42 points in its most important and impressive performance of the season. The 42-24 win over the Texans at Reliant Stadium on Sunday night evened the Packers’ record at 3-3 and possibly salvaged the Packers’ season.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers tied a team record with six touchdown passes. He threw three to Jordy Nelson, two to James Jones and one to Tom Crabtree, an especially impressive performance against one of the best pass defenses in the league. Rodgers threw for 338 yards and looked every bit the league MVP that he was last season.

Rodgers opened the scoring with a 41-yard bomb to Jordy Nelson down the right sideline. The Packers increased their lead to 14-0 following a six-yard touchdown pass from Rodgers to James Jones late in the first quarter.

Houston cut its deficit to 14-7 when Arian Foster capped a nine-play, 80-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown run, but the Packers roared right back with a seven-play, 78-yard touchdown drive, which Rodgers capped with a 21-yard dart to Nelson on a crossing route.

Foster, the NFL’s second-leading rusher, was held to 29 yards on 17 carries by a Packers defense that was playing without nose tackle B.J. Raji. Foster’s longest run from scrimmage gained five yards.

Nelson led the Packers in receptions with nine for 121 yards and, of course, three touchdowns. Randall Cobb caught seven passes for 102 yards.

The Packers offense kept the pressure on in the second half and interceptions by Sam Shields and Casey Hayward, who intercepted two passes, in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for Green Bay and dealt the Texans their first loss of the season. The Packers’ scoring barrage took Houston out of its run-the-ball personality and forced it into a panic passing attack.

50 Responses to “Packers score impressive win, 42-24”

1. By Cecilia Duran on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

GREAT JOB GREENBAY LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU. BIG GUYS !!!!! ARRON YOU ARE NUMBER ONE!!!! ALWAYS YOUR NUMBER ONE FAN inAlbuquerque. NM. Cecilia J Duran

2. By Nick on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Go Pack Go! The Packer’s offense is back, and I’m loving it!

3. By Ryan on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Go Pack Go!!!! tough about all these injuries but great win for the Pack!!

4. By Cecilia Duran on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Love love love ARRON Rodgers !!!l you rock

5. By PapaMoose19 on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Nice win, Pack! Let’s Roll!! BTW, we were 3-3 in 2010…

6. By CincyTom on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Congratulations Coach McCarthy and team- an impressive win and great effort all around. You have silenced the critics. Great game plan on offense to balance run and pass, and on defense to stuff the run and make the Texans 1 dimensional. We won this game tonight because we dominated in the trenches mentally and physically for 4 quarters. Aaron was phenomenal, the O-line blocked well, Green ran hard, and the receivers made plays. On defense, we got consistent pressure and made some big plays. Casey Hayward and the other rookies shined tonight- their athletic talent is really making a difference. Let’s carry this momentum into next week for a much needed victory over St. Louis!!

7. By nashreza on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

The Pack is back!!

8. By BIG D on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

And how did we lose to the lousy Colts?

anyways, looking pretty dominant tonight
    lets hope this continues

9. By Stacie on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Solid win tonite. One game at a time. Bring on the Rams!

10. By Chris on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Normally, I’d be worried about all the injuries. But it seems the Pack plays better then ever when the injuries start racking up, so GO! PACK! GO!

11. By Nick on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Everyone is saying that the Pack is Back; but they didn’t go anywhere.

12. By Jay on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Were ya at doubters! For shame! Great job Pack!!

13. By Michael Miller on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Well, I think this will make Vic happy, considering he’ll most likely have a very positive inbox to sort through tomorrow.

14. By DEB on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

I WAS WATCHING THE GAME ON AND OFF AND THE IMPRESSIVE RUIN THAT AARON MADE FOR THAT TOUCHDOWN THAT HE SUPPOSEDLY MADE,DIDNT THAT COUNT.I DIDNT SEE ANY POINTS ADDED TO THAT AFTER THE 21.AFTER THAT TOUCH DOWN THAT RODGERS MADE IT SHOULD OF MADE THE GAME 28 TO 17 .WHAT HAPPENED THERE? I DIDNT GET THAT ONE.WHAT DID I MISS? DO MISS JENNINGS AND DRIVER.

15. By Da Truth Speaks on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

GO PACK GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Champions are made through adversity. Packers are the Greatest football team of all time, truly Americas team!!!!!!!!! BE GREAT!!!!!!! GO PACK GO!!!!!!

16. By Da Truth Speaks on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

By the way Greg Jennings, get healthy soon, I believe in mt smellf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By James Lockeby on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Great game guys.I have never lost faith in any of ya’ll and never will. I Will always belive in all of ya’ll. Great way to shut up the the people that thought there was something wrong with you guys. As always your greatest fan on the east coast. James Lockeby

18. By Kevin on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

Jordy Nelson is amazing. Best receiver on the team by a mile. If he was the go-to guy on a lesser team without the offensive options, he’d be the top WR in the game.

Also quite a treat to see Jones with the sticky gloves on this week.

19. By Kevin on Oct 14, 2012 | Reply

One more thing, did anyone else notice the referees doing their job WELL tonight?

This game and the Bears game were the only games this season I’ve seen that we didn’t get 100% jerked around by the officiating. Even since the lockout ended.

20. By Frank marmurowiczjr on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Nice win fore the packers

21. By ______________ on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Very very nice win! :)

22. By GO4IT_PACK on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Finley must go. He is gonna cost the Packers a Big game some day. He simply cannot catch. His drops have continuously halted drives and changed momentum. We have too many other good TE’s to waste any more time with this guy.

23. By DeanOfMen on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Shhhhhhhhhhh…….

24. By Ms.V on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Great job!! You were tiring in that third Qtr from working it so hard all throughout game time…what a jolt back with 5 minutes left in the 3rd. Took it all the way home from there! Was worried at first with the tiredness and team exhaustion that was obvious and still proved to be the bigger team, almost had me wondering what someone had spiked the Gatorade with! ha ha j/k – 3-3 yea baby yea!! Go Packs Go…. Once a Pack always a Pack and I LOVE CHEESE!!! … ;) Rest up guys!! You deserve it. God bless you and yours! Ms.V

25. By b on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

HEY VIC!

I can’t get the videos to play on Packers.com.

I do live overseas… I know it’s not an issue with software on my end, cause it worked a couple weeks ago and now doesn’t.

What gives?

26. By Rick on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Time to win three more in a row and go into the by at 6-3.

What was with the blocked punt, anyway?

27. By borkopel on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Go Pack Go!!! From Russian Cheese Head.:)

28. By animal lover on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

A breath of fresh air!! Solid performance from everyone!Look what we were able to do w/o Raji and Jennings and then later in the game w/o Smith and Perry.

I await an update on the injuries. Our D line got pretty thin.
    What is Driver’s role this season?
    We’re getting very thin on RB as well. We need Green to keep improving and stay healthy!

29. By sandia nm on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Could not watch or even hear the game because I am in China on business. Ecstatic over this win. Similar wins in past years after losses to second rate teams. I felt no way vs 5 – 0 Texans in their house. What happened to Finley? And run defense without Raji? Amazing. Season is salvaged,and now onto some division wins.

30. By James on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

SHHHHH! That’s an Awesome comment. He could’ve said so much, but didn’t I love it!

31. By jayber on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Now that what we’re talkin’ about…….hitting on all cylinders! The tides are turning. No let down’s the next game Pack!!

32. By Paul on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Love to see the team playing the way they need too, but the big let down is Finley…constant drops…everytime there is some momentum going, he stops it with his drops…time to cut the losses and let him go!

33. By Maralee on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Totally awesome game and I got to see it LIVE. Our team is back, now that’s the PACKERS I know and love. Watch out We’re back!!! Great job, GO PACK GO

34. By markynhoz on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Go Pack Go!!!! Even with the injuries, it was our best game of season. brazilian’s parckers

35. By Dan A on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

GREAT JOB WITH THE GAME PLANNING BY THE COACH AND THE PLAYERS CERTAINLY EXECUTED THE PLAN. THE OFFENSE LINE DID AN EXCELLENT JOB PROTECTING AARON ROGERS AND THEY OPENED SOME NICE HOLES FOR ALEX GREEN!
    GO PACKERS GO!!!

36. By george on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The Packers were great but I have an issue with the turf in Houston. During the broadcast it was pointed out that the turf is 6×6 sections. It is no coincidence we lost three players to knee injuries. The league needs to look into this as it reminds me of the turf at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. The turf needs to be more secure as it looks like players were getting their cleats caught in the seams.

37. By Kenny on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I came on the blog last week after the meltdown in Indy, and stated I wouldn’t be surprised if we beat the Texans. I could now say I am some sort of football prophet, or the like, but I won’t. I absolutely meant what I said. Yet, I was surprised, by the ease of the Packers win. I expected a shootout type game, with us possibly pulling out a late victory, not dominating the Texans in their house.

As for the game, I felt Raji being out, actually helped the Packers. Now before everyone thinks I am crazy, or hating on Raji, I am neither.

The Packers normally play Raji, Wilson and Pickett in the base. With Raji and Pickett on the field at the same time, that severely downgrades the atleticism of the D-line.

Last night the Packers had to use Worthy and Neal a lot more. Those 2 guys bring a lot more athleticism and speed to the Defense and it showed last night.

Pickett just doesn’t move well enough on the end to be consistently efective. It invites teams to bounce the run outside more frequently, because he can’t get to the points on the edge laterally.

I love optimism but before we worry about 6-3 at the bye let’s get through the next game. The Packers have been anything but consistent this season.

The Rams are a much improved team from the one we played last year. They have 2 really good edge rushers. the Packers have struggled against teams with 2 edge rushers of late.

The Rams also have 2 good, physical corners. Our guys will need to play at a high level and beat the Bump-and-Run coverage against Jenkins and Finnegan.

Go Pack Go!

38. By GBPfan4life on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Last week I said the Texan’s didn’t play anybody yet.
    Dolphin
    Jaguars
    Broncos
    Titans
    Jets
    UNTIL NOW!: WAY TO GO PACK!, and those who BELIEVED!

39. By Junior on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

nice job guys but i still would love to see you guys stay consistent through out the season. but i do agree with the other people that FINLEY NEEDS TO GOO!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG this guy loves to drop open passes or on the line plays so please please please bench him and start someone else if you do that i guarantee if you do that he wont drop anymore treat him like a little kid

40. By Ralph on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The Packers were on misson!!!!!!! Where are all those na!! sayers. GO PACK GO!

41. By nigeriaguest on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I am Nigeria guest. packers

42. By Janet King on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Great great game. You all were great.

43. By Cali on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

The point was made that the Pack are Back!! Rodgers was phenomonal and the D was suprisingly good, despite a ton of injuries. Foster was irrelevant and Shaub got picked more than a kids nose!! Great game on both sides of the ball. Can’t wait ’till next sunday. GO PACK GO!!

44. By Cali on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Oh, and to the guy who called us all “polyannas” and said there’s no proof the Pack will get better. Last night was your proof!! Now, I think the bears needs an extra fan, so why don’t you head on over there. This is Packer Nation and only TRUE fans belong!! GO PACK GO!!

45. By Cali on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

I BELIEVE, always have, always will!!!

46. By BMas on Oct 15, 2012 | Reply

Very nice to see the rebound after last week’s collapse. Kudos to the Coaching staff for their preparation for last night’s game (pretty much all aspects of the game experienced success). I look forward to another big week against the Rams (much improved team). I’m concerned about all of the injuries. I hope the league punishes the O-lineman that unnecessarily ended DJ Smith’s season. Great job this week Packers! Looking forward to staying on track through the remainder of this season.

47. By GBPfan4life on Oct 16, 2012 | Reply

Pretty quiet from the “Fire everybody”/”I’m not a fan anymore”, side of things.
    @Cali; Very gratifying win for a true Packer fan like yourself isn’t it!.
    As for everyone who jumped off the band wagon, stay off!. The real fans do not understand your ……”and I hate my mommy too”, mentality!.
    The Pack is back. BELIEVE IT!

48. By chase on Oct 17, 2012 | Reply

that was GREAT! GO PACK GO! that game said that we don’t need greg jennings. i would be sad if we gave him to the jets. i really like jennings he is one of my favorite players. there was also a rumer about trading james jones to the st. luois rams. rodgers had a great game, tied franchis as you all know. GO RODGERS!

49. By jon on Oct 17, 2012 | Reply

get rid of Finlely, he is a chronic ball dropper. trade, him, cut him, just don’t play him he will cost this team dearly

50. By lil g on Oct 18, 2012 | Reply