• Thu., Sep. 18, 2014 2:00 PM - 2:15 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media on Thursday, September 18, in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Fri., Sep. 19, 2014 11:30 AM - 11:45 AM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media on Friday, September 19, in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Sun., Sep. 21, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Packers at Detroit Lions Packers at Detroit Lions
  • Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media on Monday, September 22, in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM CDT Humana playground build (morning session)

Scheduled to appear: Andrew Quarless and Casey Hayward

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Humana playground build (afternoon session) Scheduled to appear: Datone Jones and Micah Hyde

Clay Matthews will be re-evaluated Friday, plus other injury updates

Posted by Mike Spofford on November 28, 2012 – 4:14 pm

Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay MatthewsPackers LB Clay Matthews (hamstring) sat out practice once again on Wednesday, but Head Coach Mike McCarthy said he watched Matthews go through his rehab workout and the medical staff is planning to re-evaluate the star pass rusher on Friday.

Matthews has missed the last two games due to a hamstring injury sustained against Arizona on Nov. 4.

“He wants the opportunity to talk again on Friday,” McCarthy said. “He’s getting close. I think it’ll be a stretch for him to play in the game, but we’ll have him evaluated again on Friday and see how the week of rehab goes.”

In other injury news, DE C.J. Wilson (knee) has all but been ruled out by McCarthy for this week, a tough blow for the run defense with Vikings RB Adrian Peterson coming to town. Fellow DE Ryan Pickett (quad) also missed practice, but McCarthy said Pickett should be back at practice either Thursday or Friday and the coach isn’t concerned about his availability for the game.

“We’re going to miss C.J. He’s a real good run player,” said Pickett, who characterized his own injury as a bruise and reiterated McCarthy’s confidence that he would play on Sunday. “I think he gets overlooked. A lot of times he doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He can play the run real good.”

LT Marshall Newhouse was added to the injury report with a wrist injury, and he was limited in practice, but as with Pickett, McCarthy didn’t express a high level of concern for Newhouse’s availability for the game.

McCarthy also said that T Derek Sherrod was “not close enough” to being ready to play for the Packers to move him from the physically unable to perform list to the 53-man roster this week, so Sherrod will miss the entire season.

As for RB Cedric Benson, he was going through an evaluation on his injured foot during McCarthy’s press conference and the results were not yet known. Benson has been on injured reserve/designated for return since hurting his foot in Week 5. He was eligible to return to practice last week but has not yet done so.

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Clay Matthews will be re-evaluated Friday, plus other injury updates”

1. By hawgnsonstv on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Awesome!

2. By CKliam on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Praying for good news on Benson tomorrow!

3. By JUSTIRON on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Let me break down for you and you quess who am i, ok .I have been involved with sports all my life. My deepest love was always football, i will always remember the dreams and hopes i had in my back yard as a runny nosed kid. The color of that torn and dirty jersey would change from play to play as transformed from Walter Payton,to Bart Starr,to Johnny Unitas,to some MEAN JOE GREENE. I played every position on that worn out back yard,my moms clothes line poles would be come the DOOMS DAY DEFENSE. But they were no match for what i brought to the game.Some times i wished i could go back, just for a day because i never lost a game. But i cant go back because times moves along and we all grow up. But my dream has come true because i still wear a football jersey,its torn and dirty at times and i need a 3x size now.A dream have become me but last sunday i just lacked emotion,and my focus was lost,i did not give my all. The boy in the back yard never missed a tackle, never dropped a pass, but he is just a memory. Now i am held to a higher standard because i am player on the most awarded fanchises team ever,and i may add am paid quite well for my services. Now i have 2 questions for you, who will show up at the games the rest of the season a boy with a dream or a man lacking focus and emotion. And yes you know who i am now ,i am a GREENBAY PACKER

4. By Cody on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

we need mathews back, it looks like it killin him just standin around and watchin

5. By Don on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Justirion play the best you can because everyday is a gift. There are many of us who don’t have your ability who would love to be in your shoes. Whatever happens, you’re still a Packer and we, as fans support you whatever happens.

6. By obhtn3 on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Yeah Right JUSTIRON…You been out in the rain too long casue you are kind of rusty.

7. By Big Cheese on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

JUSTIRON, nice… I’m a Packer fan since 1963.

Obviously the Packers are struggling in several areas right now, and once again, injuries are a concern. In my opinion many fans are over reacting, but the sky is not falling. Teams get hot, and hopefully the Pack will get hot at the right time. A lot can happen with five games remaining, and I still believe the Packers will win the NFC North, and who knows what can happen from there.

In the 2010 regular season, the Pack were 7-4 through their first 11 games and went on to win the SB. In the 2011 regular season, the Giants were 6-5 through their first 11 games, and we all know what happened there as well. I’m still a believer. Go Pack Go….

8. By Rusty Draper on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

If Clay Matthews can not play,it will be the Jared Allen show. Not a good thing Packer fans .

9. By Rusty Draper on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Let me break it down for you JUSTIRON you’re a moron !

10. By ThomasDaBrain on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

I believe that coach and the players know enough about the Vikings to keep them in check for most of the game and there is Ponder, who will probably throw a few pick. I see Hayward having a good game. If Clay plays, I dont see him doing much because of the injury but just his appearance will create problems for the Vikings. Jared Allen? please. If the O-line really felt embarrassed by the front four of NYG then they will be out to punish the vikings D. I want Rodgers to air it out this game and get more confident but dont get me wrong, we need to make people respect the run and I feel like as long as Greene and Starks keep their feet moving and the ball secure, its going to be respected.

11. By RobbthePackerFan on Nov 28, 2012 | Reply

Pretty cool bit of prose, JUSTIRON. Don’t pay attention to the haters. I hope Benson, Jennings, Matthews, Woodson & Wilson heal up quickly for the stretch run. The Packers are gonna need as many healthy bodies as possible for this stretch of division gamees to finish the regular season. Go Pack!

12. By Pack4ever12 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

The injury woes will be the Packers demise. This season is far worse than the 2010 season. They get one back and lose two more. The 49ers are the team to beat this year and the Packers are not equipped to handle that kind of opponent with all the injured players and I doubt they could take them on if they were healthy. Hopefully next year they will have better luck staying healthy and more playmakers will emerge.

13. By JUSTIRON on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Rusty Draper sorry you didnt like my little story, i just feel a lot things go into being a pro football player and the dream never ends. I would rather be called owner and a huge packer fan, than a moron but you can do as you wish, have a good day ok !!!!!!!!!!

14. By fubared on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I almost think that players are reading the horrible reviews of their play and coming up with injuries just to say, hey it wasn’t me it was this mild ankle, quad, knee, zit…. that stopped me from being who I really am.

I mean Raji, Pickett, both ineffective in the Giants game and now on Wednesday they have tiny boo boos. Raji is missing practices because he is flat out of shape.

You look back at this season so far and there are way too many players on this team coming up with injuries during practice week. I think there agents are telling them, hey you sucked in that last game, better have an excuse or it could costs you money down the road.

15. By Pack50 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

The pack have injuries and so do the rest of the league. When your O-line is having challenges which clearly the pack do, you only have to options 1.)bring in the tight ends/backs or spread them out. Option 2 is the way to go without question. You cannot bully teams like San Fran, Giants, Vikings or Bears. 2.) Put Cobb in the backfield. Nelson to slot with Finley as the other slot. With Jennings back at WR and Jones you are still solid. You have the best q-back in the league and one of the smartest one’s. The mismatches will be created by Nelson (safety or linebacker covering), Findlay (not sure about him but reality suggests should be a mismatch) but there
    is no linebacker in the NFL that can stay with Cobb. I like McCarthy but all too often here is very stubborn with approach. I see Pack offense being dictated to as oppossed to dictating matchups and the pace. When Rodgers is playing great the ball is out in a hurry and spread out. As for Defence they need to get healthy before that is going to be fixed. Capers is limited by experience and injuries.

16. By Rick on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

If GB can’t beat these pretenders at home without Matthews, they don’t belong in the playoffs anyway. Hamstring injuries are bad news. Get that thing healed properly so that when he does come back, it’s when they need him most (@Chicago) and the thing doesn’t go pop again and end his season.

17. By taylor51 on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

Justrion, whoa dude…. there are lots of docs out there.

18. By Monaco on Nov 29, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been looking on on-line more than Three hours as of late, yet I never came across any unique article like yours. It is pretty price enough in my situation. Personally, in the event that all website owners and web guru made exactly content material when you did, websites will likely be additional useful than any other time. “We are not retreating we will be advancing in another Direction.” through Douglas MacArthur.

19. By Oldtiger on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

I wonder if there any other running backs out there that might be able to help GB. if for nothing less a body that ca block rushers????

20. By Oldtiger on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

I also wonder if all this safety is part of the problems. Training camps seem pretty weak. I wish someone would do a study on what injuries and frequencies they are happening. Seems like All; teams are taking the hits with these candyass training camps.

21. By eagle4freedom on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

Come people it’s not like were playing anyone good…It’s the ViQueens after all.

22. By smilin'GBfanner on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

I don’t buy the “we’ve got injuries, that’s why we lost” bs. Football=injuries, it’s obvious how they happen. Freight train-like wrecks every other down creates injuries. These athletes, especially the currently injured players, don’t make these things up. Cut ‘em some slack eh?
    Hope Clay’s re-evaluation goes well for us and him, but I also wouldn’t want to see him jump into the game too early for his injury.
    I’ll admit, it makes me crazy(er) that we won’t have all of our all-stars to crush the purple & gold team. Man I don’t dig that team! Get well fellas, this fan is patient but on the edge of my seat.

23. By Attila on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

On time.

24. By gbpfan4life on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

@ Justiron. You described every kid in every backyard in wisconsin. I really enjoyed your post. Thank You!.

Regardless of what happened against the Giants, Im proud of what the Packers have accomplished with what could be described as a MASH unit. Most teams can’t go 7-4 with healthy starters. So what if we had a rotten game. So what!. We will be their at the end contending for another Lombardi!. We are the Green Bay Packers.

25. By smilin'GBfanner on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

@ gbpfan4life, well said on all counts.

26. By mr knowitall on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

he works for 30 years in aluminium poop shed

27. By JUSTIRON on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

gbpfan4life glad you like my article,sounds like most did. It came from the heart because i grew up in DARLINGTON WISCONSIN. I didnt get to wear a pro jersey but became a vietnam vet while in the Marine Corp. I remember Bart Starr came to my high school once and i did as we all do, we love the PACKERS.

28. By JUSTIRON on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

And your welcome !!!!!!!

29. By NlGERlAGUEST on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

Whereas it may be difficult for you to determine your daily flatus volume, you can certainly keep track of your daily numerical fart count.

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Nov 28, 2012: – Clay Matthews will be re-evaluated Friday, plus other injury updates