• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Humana playground build (afternoon session) Scheduled to appear: Datone Jones and Micah Hyde
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Packers Everywhere pep rally (Chicago)

Packers fans 21 years and older are invited to bring the spirit of Green Bay to Chicago a day early with a free Packers Everywhere Pep Rally. Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy will take part in the pre-gameday excitement by greeting fans and participating in a Q-and-A session with Wayne Larrivee, the radio voice of the Packers. Packers alumni Mark Chmura and Don Beebe will also be at the rally to socialize with fans, sign autographs and discuss their thoughts on the next day’s game against the Bears. A round-table discussion with Packers.com writers Vic Ketchman, Mike Spofford and the audience will conclude the event.

• Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Packers at Chicago Bears Packers at Chicago Bears
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch) Mark Murphy and Greg Koch are scheduled to appear at the Packers Pro Shop on Wednesday, October 1st, from 2:30-4 p.m.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Paul Coffman appearance Paul Coffman is scheduled to appear at the Bellin Health North Reach flu clinic on Wednesday, October 1, from 5-7 p.m., in Marinette, WI.

Mason Crosby preparing for strong finish

Posted by Mike Spofford on January 10, 2013 – 2:33 pm

The Packers didn’t bring any other kickers in to compete with Mason Crosby when he was slumping. The 49ers did, with incumbent David Akers and newcomer Billy Cundiff staging a weeklong competition to see who will kick on Saturday night.

Crosby reiterated again on Thursday that he was plenty motivated by his own struggles, whether or not the Packers brought in some competition for his job. But he does appreciate the support the organization showed him, and after making five consecutive field goals over the last three games, his focus is on continuing the strong finish to an otherwise rough season.

“For me, it’s about finishing everything,” Crosby said. “I finished the regular season strong, and now it’s finishing these playoffs and every opportunity I have. I’m thankful to be here.

“Consistency is the name of the game, and these last few weeks I’ve felt good with that, and it’s the playoffs now. I have to be consistent, be solid and take advantage here.”

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Mason Crosby preparing for strong finish”

1. By Tarlam on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I like Cosby, he’s a nice fellow, in public. He also adds to my gameday excitement! Everytime he lines up for a FG, I am biting my nails and squinting at the TV.

I mean, that’s what football is all about, no?? Experiencing excitement?? Thanks for making it better, Mason!

2. By Tom on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

That’s my boy! I’ve always believed in Mason even when many fans were calling for his firing. Those who give up on their players just because they have a rough stretch equates to being a Bears fan. He may prove to be a huge figure in this deep playoff run so let’s back him up at all times!

3. By jettam1 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Nice shot on the Bears , Tom. We have Bear fans in the family and they believe they are the best fans in the world. Well I rate them just over Oakland fans. As for Crosby, he’ll be fine. He has been excellent as the Packers kicker except for his slump. Let’s hope they destroy the 49ers so we can sit back and relax.

4. By Brian on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

In Mason we trust! Go get ‘em Mason!

5. By ThomasDaBrain on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

well, when he was slumping I was getting pretty mad but my gf would yell at me “don’t give him bad vibes” but I have come around and really appreciate the respect the organization has shown him, just another reason why I love my packers. GO PACK GO!

6. By #1Dummy on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Maybe I’m guilty of an analytical mind but, really, how does a place kicker slump when he practices the same thing over and over and over again every day for hours on end?. No film study, no opponent match ups, no X’s, no O’s. Just kick the ball through uprights over and over…………….
    Maybe I’m over simplifying it but, how does a slump happen?. You either have the skill or you don’t. Either a kicker is good, or he is bad, but I’ve never seen one “slump” before and I’ve been a football fan/Packer fan for 45 years. What am I not understanding here?.

7. By Go Pack on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Hey there #1 Dummy,the answer to your ? is in your name.Even the best of the best can slump, we humans not machines.keep the faith.Go Pack

8. By Mike on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

#1Dummy , there is just as much pressure on a kicker as everyone else on the field. kickers go through slumps just like great hitters do in baseball. If Babe Ruth did have a hit in 10 games, is he suddenly a horrible hitter? Crosby is a pro, he has it covered.

9. By Ken Hill on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

#1, the reason to the slump is what he was coached to do. During colder weather, it’s hard to kick all the way through the end zone as Mason was doing earlier in the season. So to make things easier on the coverage team, he was coached to kick the ball into “coffin corner”, a corner of the field, so the coverage team could converge on that area and get a good stop. Then he’s told to kick it straight, he knows that but his leg still thinks he’s got to kick it “thatta way” instead of straight. He’s had to work through that, to make it possible to do both, now that he has, hopefully his slump is over.

10. By #1Dummy on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

@Go Pack: pretty sure your family tree don’t branch y’all.
    @ Mike; Your answer is point on. I know kickers are human and will miss from time to time, especially from further out but, I just keep tripping over the “slump” part. Hopefully, Crosby is out of his. Thanks.

11. By Kenny on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Kickers are a strange breed. I am a big UGA fan in college football. Last season, the Dawgs had a kicker that went from All-American, to a guy that consistently struggled to make a kick. That kicker is Blair Walsh.

If the name sounds familiar, it’s because he is the very same Blair Walsh that set a record for the most 50+ yard FG’s in a season, and made the Pro Bowl as a rookie.

Moral of the story: Kickers are hard to figure out.

12. By I'm A Cheese Head on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I Feel have to agree with #1Dummy. Unlike QB’s who have to learn the routes of all receivers and every player on field, kickers just KICK!! that’s you’re only job!
    i understand you get into a bad momentum at times, and maybe miss a cheap shot during a game, but certainly not miss a FG 3 -4 games in a row.

13. By Fire Ted on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Crosby sucks

14. By rjorgPACK on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

He did not become a bad kicker. He is a great kicker who got off track with his “swing” like a golfer does. All he has to do is line up and kick. The more he aims, the more he exaggerates to correct his mistakes. I think he will be fine and I think it inevitable that he will be kicking a clutch kick sometime in the playoff. How sweet would it be if it were to win the Super Bowl. Go Crosby, Go Packers.

15. By Apples on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

Mason Crosby is a great kicker and he has made many points for the Packers. The Packers have always supported each other. I was very surprised when he missed because I love to watch him. It is great to see him back on track because it makes him feel better that his is doing his job for the Packer fans. The Packers are always the greatest to watch.

16. By Big Cheese on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Fire Ted, no sense even reading past your screen name. Crosy will be fine, it’s Akers that could be in trouble today. Go Pack Go…