• Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM CDT Green Bay Packers Training Camp Blood Drive Green Bay Packers Training Camp Blood Drive
  • Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 11:45 AM - 1:45 PM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.
  • Tue., Aug. 26, 2014 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM CDT Chris Jacke appearance Chris Jacke is scheduled to appear at the grand opening of Bellin Health Home Care Equipment on Tuesday, August 26, from 6-8 p.m., at 508 S. Military Ave., in Green Bay, Wis.
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 10:15 AM - 12:15 PM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.
  • Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM CDT Packers vs. Kansas City Chiefs (Bishop's Charities Game) Packers vs. Kansas City Chiefs (Bishop's Charities Game)
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM CDT Packers at Seattle Seahawks Packers at Seattle Seahawks

Packers stay on defense, turn to linebacker in sixth round

Posted by Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor on April 27, 2013 – 4:02 pm

GREEN BAY–The Packers selected Nate Palmer of Illinois State in the sixth round of the draft on Saturday. Palmer, 6-3, 240, was an All-Missouri Valley Conference defensive end, but he will be tried at linebacker by the Packers.

An Illinois transfer, Palmer registered 17 sacks and 25.5 tackles for loss in two seasons at Illinois State.

Tags: ,

30 Responses to “Packers stay on defense, turn to linebacker in sixth round”

1. By Edmond on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

This guy had 23 tackles on game…

2. By Dan on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Nice stats. Hopefully he can duplicate them at the highest level. Now let’s concentrate on getting some WRs with size and potential that we can groom. Now that we have a balanced offense, let’s make sure we don’t run out of weapons in case of injury.

3. By russ on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

What about da’rick rogers good size for the NFL

4. By bennick on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

why was he ranked the 593rd player in the draft

5. By Bob Kitch on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I hope he has the smarts to learn a very complex defense. This could be the diamond in the rough.

GO PACK……………………

6. By Greg on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Guess Ted’s never heard of a wide receiver or tight end.

7. By Brett on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I’m good with improving the defense, that’s critical for Green Bay to succeed in the playoffs. Let’s face it, Rodgers will get GB to the playoffs, but the defense, offensive line, and running game must pick up their game for Green Bay to go to the Super Bowl.

There are some good picks in Green Bay’s draft but I also think there are opportunities lost as well.

8. By Scott on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Like I said earlier a great pickup in the 7th round would be Chris Gragg TE from Arkansas.

9. By Kyle on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

“Greg” up above me is upset that Green Bay hasn’t drafted a WR/TE yet.

However, I am POSITIVE that if they HAD drafted a player of one of those positions there would be a DIFFERENT person complaining that “Guess Ted’s never heard of a safety.”

This is why I don’t complain. Regardless of who Green Bay will draft there WILL be a “fan” who is upset with it.

10. By Tyler on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Anyone know Why Chase Thomas hasn’t been drafted yet?

11. By russ on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

come on TT DA’RICK Rogers is still out there 6’3″ 212lbs.,nice size for a WR on this team and was originally on Tennesse, rated high on some boards, we need to replace some WRs we lost, nice size target

12. By David on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@bennick: He’s a small school guy, draftniks don’t really bother studying those guys. Green Bay’s scouts make sure they don’t neglect any college when looking for talent.

13. By brokenbackjack on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Let’s get a TE now!

14. By Mike on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I believe this draft is going great! getting some great picks at the time! though everyone has their opinion, obviously there will be some hits and misses but all in all great draft for the PACK!!!

15. By bennick on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@david:he was the 593rd ranked player the other scouts new who he was its not like they found someone nobody new about

16. By bennick on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

im happy with the running backs and datone but the rest of this draft stunk

17. By Packer Joe on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I will never complain and never have toward the Packers front office. Ted, Mark and Mike r the best. One cannot pick every position every year. No WR/Tightend.. No safety. Why two tackles. Yada yada.. wa wa. Again. Anyone thinking they know more than Ted Thompson. Go get his job. U would get lost just walking in his office. The Pack r Back baby..

18. By Justin on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I’m an IL State Alum…..Go Pack & Redbirds

19. By Kyle on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I just remember last year after the draft hearing and reading that a lot of draftniks and experts didn’t like the Packers trading up for Casey Hayward.

20. By Packer Mike on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Looking forward to seeing something like this with the next picks, TE, WR, S. in that order but any combination will due and any DB will do as well, Excited for this season.

21. By G-Dog on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

TT working the phones on a deal to trade back into the eighth round. “Only seven rounds?! What kind of nonsense is that?” Just kidding- looks like a great draft with three potential blue chip players in Jones, Lacy, and Franklin. Good job Pack!

22. By rjorgPACK on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I would hardly think it right to EVER knock the Packers for their WR selections or their drafting capabilities. They have built the team on drafting and have been the envy of many for their depth at WR, so I am confident they kind of, sort of know what they’re doing.

23. By Brett on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Yes, Casey Hayword was a very good pick last year. But what do you think about Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy? Or the year before Derek Sherod? Or Mike Neal from a few years ago?

I think TT has made some good moves over the years but the idea that he’s infallible and beyond reproach is unreasonable.

24. By Greg on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I love reading all of the TT haters who know who should be drafted better than him. Not looking at his track record he has a staff who works on this 24/7. You all have ESPN talking heads. How are you all not general managers.

25. By Mitch2 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I was not happy in the 4th round until Franklin. After that, TT I feel is doing a decent job. First two picks were awesome! Boyd is a nice pick. Franklin great pick too. The others, we’ll just have to see. If that IL State player is 1/3 of the player he was in college, then he’s a steal.

26. By Martha on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Greg . . .

27. By Mitch2 on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

Johnson looks like the type of receiver the Pack likes. Guess we have to trust the scouts on this one. Looks like a solid pick.

28. By Kyle on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

@Brett

I agree TT has had some misses.

Although, I actually think Mike Neal took a decent step forward this past season.

However, I do think we need to wait before we cast judgment on these rookies. I am not going to dismiss these guys until they HAVE failed.

That is all I am saying.

29. By John on Apr 27, 2013 | Reply

I like how people point out players who suffer freak injuries, as “busts” by TT. As if somehow, he was supposed to know Sherrod was going to get his leg crushed. Or Worthy would blow his knee out. C’mon people.

If a HEALTHY player still cant contribute, then he deserves criticism. But until then, its a violent sport. Injuries are unpredictable.

30. By simarin on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

uptil I saw the check which said $4244, I accept that my brothers friend was like they say actualy taking home money parttime on their apple laptop.. there friend brother has done this 4 only 7 months and just paid the mortgage on there villa and bourt a gorgeous Porsche 911. I went here, kep2.com