• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM CDT Humana playground build (morning session)

Scheduled to appear: Andrew Quarless and Casey Hayward

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Humana playground build (afternoon session) Scheduled to appear: Datone Jones and Micah Hyde
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Packers Everywhere pep rally (Chicago)

Packers fans 21 years and older are invited to bring the spirit of Green Bay to Chicago a day early with a free Packers Everywhere Pep Rally. Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy will take part in the pre-gameday excitement by greeting fans and participating in a Q-and-A session with Wayne Larrivee, the radio voice of the Packers. Packers alumni Mark Chmura and Don Beebe will also be at the rally to socialize with fans, sign autographs and discuss their thoughts on the next day’s game against the Bears. A round-table discussion with Packers.com writers Vic Ketchman, Mike Spofford and the audience will conclude the event.

• Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Packers at Chicago Bears Packers at Chicago Bears
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch) Mark Murphy and Greg Koch are scheduled to appear at the Packers Pro Shop on Wednesday, October 1st, from 2:30-4 p.m.
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Paul Coffman appearance Paul Coffman is scheduled to appear at the Bellin Health North Reach flu clinic on Wednesday, October 1, from 5-7 p.m., in Marinette, WI.

Game notes: Johnny Jolly almost gets sack

Posted by Mike Spofford on August 10, 2013 – 1:06 am

The Packers came close multiple times to getting sacks in Friday night’s 17-0 preseason loss to Arizona, but the most notable near-miss may have come from DE Johnny Jolly.

DE Johnny Jolly

DE Johnny Jolly

Attempting a comeback after three years away from the game, Jolly found a lane through the middle and into the pocket, but he lost his footing as Cardinals QB Drew Stanton avoided him and completed a 17-yard pass on third-and-12.

“I should’ve had that play,” Jolly said. “I don’t know, man. It was just one of those plays, I should have had it. I missed out on it.”

Jolly, who has been on a rep count in practice, said he was prepared for 20-25 snaps and believes he got at least that many, though he didn’t know exactly. He admitted he’s not back to where he was when he last played in 2009, but he still believes he can get there.

“I can’t explain the feeling that it was, but it was an awesome feeling,” he said of being back on an NFL field. “It’s been three long years, and now I’m back here. I’m just going to continue to push.”

–New dimension?: Backup QB Vince Young moved the chains twice during his three series of work. First, he hit rookie WR Alex Gillett on a slant to convert a third down. Then he ran 7 yards on a bootleg right to set up third-and-2, and then converted that with a bootleg and scramble to his left for 5 more yards.

“It’s football,” Young said. “Whatever it takes to get a first down, I’m going to get it, whether it’s throwing or running. I feel like my guys did a good job getting me the edge.”

At age 30, Young doesn’t quite run like he used to, but the power and agility in his legs was certainly evident.

“I think ‘VY’ brings a lot to this offense. You don’t know what he’ll do,” said TE Jermichael Finley, who played one season in college with Young at Texas. “You don’t know if he’s going to pass it, you don’t know if he’s going to run it.”

–More production needed: The Packers weren’t shy about trying to run the ball on Friday, but the production wasn’t there. RBs James Starks, Johnathan Franklin, Alex Green and Angelo Pease combined for 26 carries but just 70 yards, a measly 2.7 yards per rush. Rookie second-round draft pick Eddie Lacy didn’t play due to a hamstring injury.

“We have to run the ball a little more effectively I think moving forward,” QB Aaron Rodgers said. “We had a lot of attempts tonight and not a lot to show for it. We need that balance moving into the season and we have to find it the next three weeks.”

Starks led the way with 12 carries for 38 yards, the only back to average at least 3 yards per attempt. In his pro debut, Franklin didn’t find much running room, finishing with 14 yards on six carries, though he did add 12 yards on two pass receptions.

“It was moving fast,” Franklin said of the speed of the game. “It was definitely different from college. But it’s just going to take more reps adjusting to it, and I think it will slow down a lot more. It definitely can be a lot going on.”

–Close but not quite: WR Jeremy Ross got two cracks at a kickoff return, and he was maybe one step away from breaking it on his second try.

Taking a kickoff 4 yards deep in the end zone, Ross got out near the 20 and made a cut to his left but was upended at the 21, a 25-yard runback. He appeared to have a lot of room to his left if he had been able to break that one tackle.

“I was close. I was really close,” Ross said. “If I wouldn’t have gotten tripped up on those blocks right there, I would have been up the sideline.”

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Packers.com Blog, Training Camp | 28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Game notes: Johnny Jolly almost gets sack”

1. By fondyshotgun28 on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Another step forward for Johnny Jolly Keep it up,Johnny! Packer Nation is rooting for you to make it all the way back!

2. By northerner on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Jolly almost got a Sack? If this is what we will be relying on this season from the improved DF we are in trouble. Also we knew last year’s backup QBs didn’t have it so let Vince play more. I know he needs time to learn the system but lets not spend three more games phasing the other two out. The OLine has to be more productive also in its run blocking. Get two TEs out there for additional help. Also if Newhouse isn’t getting it done play someone else. Its preseason all positions should be up for grabs. The Packers are way to methodical in personnel placement and development. It has to change or this will be a very boring season. I hope not.

3. By Firedomcapers!!! on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Big surprise we saw a defense look confused and allowed alomst 400 yards , surprise we saw an offensive line not be able to run block, back couldn’t even average 3 yards a carry., yawn same team the last three years, same offensive line and same defense, no different, and as a packer fan I get sick to my stomach thinking how embarrising it is gonna be for us in week one when we give up another 600 yards of offense and run for 30 yards against the niners

4. By SIGH*** on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Well I’m glad we got that running game taken….oh wait.

Well at least the secondary is looking…oh wait.

Considering Rodgers will get hit a LOT we now have a pretty good backup….oh wait.

Yeah…I know it’s early but when do we start getting talent instead of potential.

5. By ladiesguidetofootball on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Capers is a recycle. You’ll have to replace him with a better recycle.

6. By Loose Noose on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

I’ve said all along that Capers is useless, why do they keep him? With all the talent they have at defense, I would think they could do a lot better.

7. By Larry on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Easy folks…….it’s pre-season. A smart coach wants to see everyone play. We’ll be fine !

8. By Shannon on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Wow i didn’t expect this from packer fans. you guys sounds a lot like bears fan bashing your team in the pre season!!!

9. By Mark Runyan on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

The defence dosent game plan teams in the preason. Capers has nothing to do but look at the talent or lack of. Its the 1st game just relax.They will make the playoffs, the question is can they contend for a superbowl? The line play on both sides of the ball needs to improve alot.

10. By chuck on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Relax everyone, its preseason. that being said, im just a little worried that the headline story on pack.com today is “Jolly almost gets sack” common man. we will improve and as Young gets a better feel on the playbook, he will get more reps and show what he can do, Coleman has a practice squad option still so he will make the “dummyos” Harrell is a bust and he will NOT make this team….

11. By hkdakota on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Why was Lacy not in the lineup??

12. By Rick on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

Lacy has a hammy thing.

13. By guy_who_made_a_comment on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

What does that say about the overall performance of the team when a headline is about someone almost getting a sack?

14. By Rick on Aug 10, 2013 | Reply

It says Spofford was getting a few laughs.

15. By Ft myers mike on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Need work. Jolly could help defense. Walker looked good. Secondary didn’t’ look good. Lucky we have time to get better.

16. By Eagle on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

You all have to understand that a lot of the guys that make up the team is nursing some sort of injury. Lacy was out and with him in the line up I am sure the run game would have been better. Hayward did not play and that is a lot of talent in the secondary. Nelson and Cobb are big play makers that were not able to play and if they had they would have done just as well as Jones. Our O line is adjusting to losing buluga and not having a set right tackle. I still see our team as a strong contender.

17. By M. McMahon on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

It’s very sad when someone has to write an article about a player ALMOST gritting a sack! Really?

18. By arenaoftheunwell on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

Sheesh, settle down you bunch of cry-babies. It’s preseason. We’re not game planning to win these games, we’re game planning to check players out. Plus, we’re not going to tip our hand in the preseason with schemes and personel, especially when we have the 9ers in the first game. Let’s play a little hard to get before the 49ers try to bend us over like they did last year in the playoffs. Yes, the backup QB position worries me, but it’s not anything new. Backups seldom wow you. Harrel is a bust but he has the most exp behind Rodgers, so we gotta get him as many reps as possible while trying to develop the other two guys. The secondary did look pretty bad, especially House. McMil didin’t look too hot either but this is the first game, getting some game rust off. I expect us to be way better next week. I hope Datone isn’t injured already. I think this headline was made because we all (hopefully) want Jolly to make the final roster. It’s a great turnaround story especially since he showed so much promise 4 years ago. Don’t look at every article as an indictment of the Packers play. We’re not trying to win preseason games, we’re trying to get the best possible players on the roster for the games that really count.

19. By Ryan on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

lol sounds like a bunch of babies in here haha these fake fans sheesh

20. By sean on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

northerner you didn’t even watch the game. we had 2 TEs out there and it didn’t help the run game at all. also vince young didn’t do a dang thing and Harrell looked good. newhouse was replaced by Barclay. sorry to contradict you on everything but you couldn’t be more wrong. good day.

21. By sean on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

I hate that this team has so many casual fans, some days I just want to switch to the jaguars. enjoy wearing your super bowl ball caps in public but don’t watch the games. pathetic

22. By PK on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Preseason counts for nothing but means something.DB’s looked dazed and confused. Gave up big plays. Poor tacking. All to familiar.

23. By paul on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Preseason is like kissing your sister,It don’t mean anything.

24. By PK on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Well lets hope we are not kissing that same sister at years end.

25. By Joe on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Well, I say it almost every year when the Packers have a bad preseason game: Remember the year the Packers won the 1996 Super Bowl? (ok, some fans may not be old enough to remember, but still) Yeah, that season they won exactly 0 preseason games, went on to have the best, or if not the best one of the best, offenses and defenses that year and won the Super Bowl. And Favre had the season MVP. I seem to recall the Browns won all of their preseason games that year, as well. The first game that actually means something is when they play the 9ers.

26. By PK on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Using that logic we should have hoped AR completed off seaason drug rehab. Anyone not comforming to we did not tackle or cover well:and gave up big plays being all to familiar of recent defenses needs a colored cane and a canine.

27. By Mark Calvitto on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

Understand fustration, I felt that same way, then I grew pubic hair, RELAX !!!

28. By teegardenjohanna on Aug 14, 2013 | Reply

up to I saw the bank draft saying $5478, I have faith …that…my friends brother was actualy receiving money part time at their laptop.. there neighbour has been doing this for under nineteen months and recently cleared the morgage on there place and bourt a brand new Renault 5. read more at, ᴡᴡᴡ.duℬ40.ℭℴℳ