• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media on Monday, September 22, in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM CDT Humana playground build (morning session)

Scheduled to appear: Andrew Quarless and Casey Hayward

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Humana playground build (afternoon session) Scheduled to appear: Datone Jones and Micah Hyde
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Packers Everywhere pep rally (Chicago)

Packers fans 21 years and older are invited to bring the spirit of Green Bay to Chicago a day early with a free Packers Everywhere Pep Rally. Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy will take part in the pre-gameday excitement by greeting fans and participating in a Q-and-A session with Wayne Larrivee, the radio voice of the Packers. Packers alumni Mark Chmura and Don Beebe will also be at the rally to socialize with fans, sign autographs and discuss their thoughts on the next day’s game against the Bears. A round-table discussion with Packers.com writers Vic Ketchman, Mike Spofford and the audience will conclude the event.

• Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Packers at Chicago Bears Packers at Chicago Bears
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch) Mark Murphy and Greg Koch are scheduled to appear at the Packers Pro Shop on Wednesday, October 1st, from 2:30-4 p.m.

Jerel Worthy, Sean Richardson return to practice

Posted by Mike Spofford on November 13, 2013 – 4:41 pm

Packers DE Jerel Worthy and S Sean Richardson, who have been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since the start of training camp, practiced for the first time this season on Wednesday.

DE Jerel Worthy

DE Jerel Worthy

For both players, returning to practice starts a three-week window during which they can practice without counting against the 53-man roster. After three weeks, they will have to be put on the active roster, declared out for the season or released.

“They’re excited,” said Mike McCarthy, acknowledging both players felt ready to return sooner. “We just have to go through these couple weeks and make sure they’re right. This is clearly a medical hurdle both these guys can get over, and they were good young players the last time they were on the field for us. I’m hopeful we can get through this process.”

Worthy, a second-round draft pick in 2012, injured his knee in Week 17 at Minnesota last season. McCarthy joked that he knew Worthy, who was practicing on the scout team, was back because he jumped offside a couple of times. Worthy always tries to get a jump on the snap count and was too early several times as a rookie.

“I had one (offside),” Worthy laughed, “but I’m just trying to get back in the rhythm of my game. My knee felt strong and my get-off and everything was there. I just have to get my footwork down. As far as moving around and running, I felt better than I did last year.”

Richardson, an undrafted rookie last year, injured his neck in Week 12 last season in the road game against the Giants and needed spinal fusion surgery to repair it. There was concern he might not get medical clearance to play again, but he’s grateful for whatever opportunity he may have to help the Packers by season’s end.

“It’s been a long journey,” Richardson said. “If I get the green light, I’ll be ready. I definitely will.”

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “Jerel Worthy, Sean Richardson return to practice”

1. By Mjanestar on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

Welcome back to practice Jerel and Sean. Here’s hoping you can step in and help this defense step it up soon. Glad to hear you’re cleared to practice.

2. By OKGOPACK on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

Hey, great news just when we need some.

3. By Brian on Nov 13, 2013 | Reply

These guys won’t help this year given the long layoff and no training camp/pre-season work. No way they are in ‘football’ shape.

4. By Aaron on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

… professional football players, buddy… they’ll be in football shape in 3 weeks if they’re ready to practice

5. By northerner on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I didn’t think these guys were still part of the team. Talk about being out for a while.

6. By donnell on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

let go worthy I been waiting on you to get back

7. By Kandi on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

Sean, do what you do best nephew and continue to work hard. The cards are in your favor.

8. By Tom S on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I’d like to see Richardson get his chance. God knows the existing safeties have been mediocre at best-including Burnett. And the cornerbacks! They all look lost out there. Players or the coaches or the scheme or all of the above? It’s gone on for too long.

9. By fromeo on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

I love my pack, but unfortunately nothing is going to change with the way the defensive secondary plays! No up front coverage of hitting the receivers and giving the front line a little more time to get pressure on the QB.

10. By Scott on Nov 14, 2013 | Reply

Worthy is a bust. It wont matter.

11. By Joe on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

Scott, I don’t think there’s enough evidence to say that he’s a bust. He got injured, he was out for a while, and now he’s getting back. You can’t say someone is a bust until they are out of the league, or have 4+ seasons of not performing.

12. By woodiepacker on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

ED REED GOT AWAY, THAT COULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD MOVE FOR US.

13. By PackAttack74 on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

What use would the packers have for Ed Reed when he wasn’t good enough for the Texans? Fill a spot of mediocrity with more mediocrity..? That makes sense…

14. By petermaiz on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

So guys, what can we do at defense. We’ll need to stop Andre Brown who is back from a broken leg. As a RB, the Giants ran him 30 times against Oakland and they’ll surely use the running game against the Pack and Philadelphia ran all over us last week.

15. By greenandgold12 on Nov 15, 2013 | Reply

Glad to have you men back!!! Any chance you guys can play in the Giant’s game??? I’d love to see J Worthy strip sacking Little Eli 3 times and Sean snatching a couple of pick sixes!!!! GO PACK!!!! JUST WIN BABY!!!! NEXT MAN UP!!!!

16. By geokstr on Nov 16, 2013 | Reply

Why no word on Sherrod again? He’s a first round pick, and we sure could use his giant body on our OL.

17. By Joe Potts on Nov 17, 2013 | Reply

I have not said anything for a year but if anyone thinks this defense is any better we must be watching different a different game. SOMEBODY must be held ACCOUNTABLE for this sham. Either the players can’t play, Capers can’t coach or TT can’t draft.