• Fri., Aug. 22, 2014 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM CDT Packers vs. Oakland Raiders (Gold Pkg.) (Midwest Shrine Game) Packers vs. Oakland Raiders (Gold Pkg.) (Midwest Shrine Game)
  • Fri., Aug. 22, 2014 10:15 PM - 10:45 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conference Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media in the Lambeau Field media auditorium following the Packers' preseason game against the Raiders.
  • Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM CDT Green Bay Packers Training Camp Blood Drive Green Bay Packers Training Camp Blood Drive
  • Mon., Aug. 25, 2014 11:45 AM - 1:45 PM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.
  • Tue., Aug. 26, 2014 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM CDT Chris Jacke appearance Chris Jacke is scheduled to appear at the grand opening of Bellin Health Home Care Equipment on Tuesday, August 26, from 6-8 p.m., at 508 S. Military Ave., in Green Bay, Wis.
  • Wed., Aug. 27, 2014 10:15 AM - 12:15 PM CDT *Public practice *Any practices moved inside to the Don Hutson Center due to inclement weather, poor field conditions or for any other reason will be closed to the public due to space limitations. All other practices listed are expected to be open unless listed otherwise. All outdoor practices are expected to be held on Ray Nitschke Field (across from the Resch Center). All times indicated are Central.

Eddie Lacy wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year

Posted by Mike Spofford on February 1, 2014 – 5:14 pm

140201-lacy-600

Packers RB Eddie Lacy was named The Associated Press Offensive Rookie of the Year on Saturday.

The award was presented to Lacy at the third annual “NFL Honors” show in New York City.

Lacy received 35 of the 50 votes. Chargers WR Keenan Allen was second with 12 votes. The remaining three votes were split between Bengals RB Giovani Bernard, Lions T Larry Warford and Vikings WR Cordarrelle Patterson.

In a brief phone interview with packers.com after receiving his award, Lacy confessed he was plenty nervous heading up on stage in front of the NFL world and a national TV audience.

“That was the most nerve-racking thing I think I’ve ever had to do in my life,” Lacy said. “I like to think I have stagefright, and that’s something I would try to avoid at all costs, but this was one situation where you pretty much have to go up and face your fears. As happy as I was to be up there to receive the award, I was very nervous to speak in front of everybody.”

On stage, Lacy thanked his family, teammates and coaching staff for all their support and for “making me feel a part of their team.”

Lacy joins John Brockington (1971), also a running back with a powerful running style, as the only Packers to win this award. Lacy broke Brockington’s franchise rookie records for carries (284) and rushing yards (1,178) this past season.

Lacy said Brockington reached out to him by phone after his 42-year-old records were broken and was more than excited to see where Lacy’s career goes from here.

“He’s a great guy and a great man,” Lacy said. “To be able to break his record and have him talk to you about it, it’s a great feeling. I’m just happy to bring that running style back to Green Bay.

“He told me about how excited he was when I got picked, and the visions he saw for what I can do for the running game in Green Bay.”

Lacy also broke Samkon Gado’s franchise rookie record for rushing TDs with 11, nearly doubling Gado’s total of six in 2005.

Lacy added 35 receptions for 257 yards in the passing game, giving him over 1,400 yards from scrimmage on the season. Lacy also fumbled just once, in his NFL debut in Week 1 at San Francisco.

That was the beginning of a slow start, as Lacy then suffered a concussion on his first carry in Week 2 vs. Washington, which forced him to sit out the rest of that game and the next one, in Week 3 at Cincinnati.

Lacy said the only thing he changed about his approach thereafter was to not leave his feet, because he got the concussion by getting hit in the side of the head in midair. He was trying to avoid a teammate on the ground who had tried to throw a block in front of him but ended up paying the price.

“The last thing I wanted to do was jump and get another concussion,” he said. “I had to let the game come to me.”

He went on to rush for 1,127 yards over the final 13 regular-season games, an average of 87 yards per game.

The Packers’ lone Pro Bowl representative, Lacy posted four 100-plus-yard rushing games, along with two other games of 90-plus. His season high was 150 yards against Chicago in Week 9 at Lambeau Field, the second-most rushing yards in a single game by a Packers rookie, behind only Gado’s 171 yards against Detroit in Week 14 of 2005.

Lacy already had been named Rookie of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America and a second-team All-Pro by AP. He was the NFL’s Offensive Rookie of the Month for October, joining Gado as the only other Packers rookie to win the monthly honor.

He was also named the NFC’s Offensive Player of the Week for his performance at Dallas in Week 15, when he rushed 21 times for 141 yards and a TD, including a 60-yard run on the opening play of the second half to spark Green Bay’s comeback from a 26-3 deficit for a 37-36 win.

As for whether his dynamite rookie season and this latest prestigious award put any added pressure on him for 2014, Lacy indicated he’ll be the same laid-back guy off the field and intense competitor on it as his career continues.

“I have great teammtes and a great coaching staff, and they’ll make sure I’m not putting extra pressure on myself,” he said. “I’ll go into the season with the same mindset as this past season, just don’t try to do too much and make the most of every opportunity that I get.”

RB Eddie Lacy
View photos from the red carpet at the 3rd Annual NFL Honors

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Eddie Lacy wins AP Offensive Rookie of the Year”

1. By Falecia Wilson on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Excellent job

2. By Dustin on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

I was against drafting him. BOY WAS I WRONG! He’s an absolute BEAST! I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to be wrong… EVER. lol Stay humble, Eddie! Love your laugh that sounds like “Silus” off of “How High” haha “uuuh huhuhuhuh” lol

3. By OKGOPACK on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Woooohoooo, way to go, Eddie!!! I knew you’d get it!

4. By Karen on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

I am so happy for him, such a wonderful year!

5. By Carol Peterson on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Yippo .. way To go !!!

6. By Reba Brooks on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations Eddie. Roll Tide!!!! You have represented the Crimson Tide well. Let’s Do the Twist….” So proud for you.!!!!

7. By marshallponzi on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Congrats, Eddie Lacy and the GBP! So awesome to have a super-power threat at running back again. Watch out, Adrian Peterson.

8. By RichardSRussell on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Eddie!

Woot!

9. By darklife41 on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Well deserved. Congrats Mr. Lacy! :)

10. By CJDRIVER on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

THRILLED for You Eddie!!! LOVE watching You play!! CONGRATULATIONS on being named ‘ROOKIE OF THE YEAR’ ….An honor that is definitely WELL-DESERVED!!!! Speaking for all of us in Wisconsin….’WE LOVE YOU EDDIE LACY!!’ <3 YOU playing for the Packers, made this year SOooo EXCITING!!!!!

11. By generic guy on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

What a terrible player. We should have picked up Stephen Jackson in the offseason. We would have been so much better!

12. By homegrownpack on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Big ups to Eddie Lacy!

13. By Pckrfan on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations – you had my vote hands down – we are so lucky to have you and can’t wait to see you next year

14. By Tarlam on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Geez, Eddie, I would have been so ticked off if they didn’t give you this award! Man, you carried the TEAM when Aaaron went down! You are an amazing man and I am utterly delighted you are a Packer. God bless you with all his might!

Oh, and, congrats as well!

15. By Alice on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Congrats Eddie! Packer nation is proud of you.

16. By tim on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

i felt there was no doubt who would win this award….eddie lacy has added what the team needed…

17. By Fourononeoff on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

It’s the tip of the iceberg for this kid.

18. By Mark P on Feb 1, 2014 | Reply

Wow – you can tell he is upset on the place he was drafted and was happy to win the award to shove it to them. So glad he is a Packer and hope he will always be.

19. By John Petersen on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Eddie Lacy first and foremost thanked God. This is worthy to note because the culture among athletes today is to take all the glory and to be vain. But Lacy even though he was nervous honored God, his family, and his team. Thanks Eddie

20. By SoCalPackerOwner on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

It sure was fun to watch Eddie this season. Congrats!
    Next year should be even better!
    I seem to remember that Boyd Dowler won Rookie of the Year in 1959, doesn’t that count?

21. By George on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

He’s so shy,..
    Good Job Eddie!,..i see MANY more accolades in your future, so you need to at least try to get over your shyness, ‘cuz you gonna be in the limelight a whole lot more.

GO PACK GO!

:o)

22. By D Kircher on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Congrats Mr.Lacy on the Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. A well fought & much deserved accolade for your preparation, commitment & execution throughout this season. Its great to see someone use their God given talent and hard work put it to good use. Even more important is the character you brought along with you.
    (especially in this day & age) You are a humble man, always taking praise & deflecting it to others around you, who don’t always get the pat on the back, but are also deserving of it. After all this is a TEAM sport. You represent this organisation the way it should & I think they will reward you for that. I think sometime down the line you will be given the Bart Starr Award too. Thx for such a memorable season, looking forward to next season. Barring as many injuries as this year, I think we might see you in Glendale next year ( SB XLIX ) !!!!

23. By Jay Conley on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Well deserved. Get ‘em again next year! Glad to have you on our team.
    A Packer owner.

24. By MikeG on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Awesome. I hope that Eddie Lacy has a long and distinguished career with the Pack.

25. By mike clement on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

what a modest unselfish player.he is what makes being a packer FANATIC SPECIAL. don’t ever loose that smile and laugh. congrats.

26. By Ski Luebke on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Eddie Lacy: Throw back runner, ball carrier. Its great to see a hard nosed guy not quitting at the line of scrimmage, but pushing forward, this even after the whistle. What a superb year and blessings in your future.
    As a 71 year old Packer fan who lives to see these kinds of accomplishments what a ride we are in for!!!

27. By Steve Sanasac on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

It sure is exciting to see this happen with Eddie. I want to wish him the best with the greatest tean in the NFL. The Green Bay Packers. Well done Eddie.

28. By Debbie Downer on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Lacy will never again win rookie of the year. I just know it.

29. By Douglas Pauschert on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Congrat to

Eddie (The Hammer)Lacy!

30. By robert muehlenhardt on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

congr Eddie great Year Be Proud We Are

31. By richard on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Congrats Stud….

32. By Todd Davis on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

“The Hammer” is a good nickname, but “CircleButton” is one of the best nicknames EVER!! Either way, this guy is my favorite player of all time!! Never got the respect he deserved from the media idiots in college, but his time has come!!

33. By Nancy M. Hudson on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boyd Dowler was Rookie of the year also.

34. By Carol Wood on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Eddie,congratulations for winning offensive rookie player of the year.We are so proud of you for being a great running back for the Green Bay Packers.My husband is a Bama graduate and we are RTR all the way. We now watch every Packers game to see you at the next level. Awesome that the community owns the team. They are the toughest fans in the NFL. Go Eddie

35. By Lucan 1969 on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

A position that has been a real need is filled with an possible all time great, congrats, Go Packers!!

36. By Sticky Justice on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Congrats to Eddie on a hard-won award. Congrats to us that he plays for the Packers!

37. By Boris Russian Crazy Cheese Head on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Thank you very much Eddie.
    Good Job and hope for next year
    GO PACK GO !!!!
    With Love from Russia!

38. By buckybadger on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

I wish him a healthy and long career as a Packer.

39. By acestud on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations Mr. Lacy!! I really felt after we were able to get you in the second round that we had just got a tremendous steal and boy did you prove me right! I think if you had been playing during Vince’s reign you would’ve made him proud. Man you are a BEAST! So just keep the Lord with you, with your eyes on the prize. May you always stay healthy and keep the chains moving forward.
    So from my family and I we want to say we are extremely excited to have you as part of our backfield. Keep it in Beast mode Eddy, Super Bowl XLIX here we come!!

40. By mike D on Feb 2, 2014 | Reply

Nice job Mr. Lacy

41. By diehardpackfan on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

OUTSTANDING!!! Eddie Freakin’ Lacy!!!

42. By SonOfDebbieDowner on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

I just know the Packers won’t draft as big a steal as Lacy this year.

43. By brokenbackjack on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

Congrats Eddie on the award and a fine year. So glad you got to Green Bay.
    Stay real man and you will do fine!
    Thanks for the autographed jersey for Christmas, made my day big fella!!!

44. By Duck on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

There is no Beast mode in GreenBay.. It will be EddY mode for many years to come…Keep the legs a churning. The sky’s the limit, congratulations

45. By James M. on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

Eddie Lacy and Aaron Rodgers reminds me of another duo that I remember, Ziggy Marley and John Popper… Just wait til next year folks. It’s gonna be intense! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zk0HFG5mDw

46. By James M. on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

They just match each other, and it only gets better. Hehe

47. By James M. on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

And by the way, all four got talent!

48. By James M. on Feb 3, 2014 | Reply

I kind of laugh right now, no matter what the (organization) does, they can’t stop the tide that’s coming! And It’s coming, no paper SB champ can stop what’s rolling in…Defense won their SB, but we’re not Denver!!! And I know AR isn’t that guy. So, draft picked players I guarantee, 1st choice, will want to be to GB, thanks mainly to those 2.

49. By markawomack on Feb 4, 2014 | Reply

Reblogged this on markawomack84 and commented:
    this is a good football player and he have big things in store for next season

50. By dunjav2013 on Feb 4, 2014 | Reply

Reblogged this on dunjav.

51. By SusieK on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

Congratulations, Eddie! You so richly deserve this honor. It is such fun to watch run do what you do…you are relentless and commited do being the best, and you are.

52. By Linda on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

not taking anything away from his immense talent…he is SO damn cute too!

53. By Barbara Webb on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

Yeah Eddie Lacey great plays this past season can’t wait to see what you do next year. Job well done. Congratulations

54. By Joseph Morrow on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

It has been a while since we could brag about having a premier quarterback, excellent receivers and now a feature back. Get the defense squared around and look out. Go Pack Go!!!!!!

55. By Phil on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

We luv ya Eddie way down here in Denver Colorado! I can’t wait to get a Packer Jersey with your name on it.

56. By David W on Feb 7, 2014 | Reply

Being a WI native, my step-son in Australia saved for years to travel to USA and watch Packers games. The highlight of his trip was when Mr. Lacy and Mr. Burnett took time to visit with him. Not only is Eddie a great athlete, he’s also a humble and top notch human being. Well deserved and congrats Mr. Lacy. Stay humble! :)

57. By Grandpadean on Feb 8, 2014 | Reply

I really loved the effort he gave this year. The extra yards on most plays and the total giving through the obvious pain in his ankle and such shows he was willing to give for the team and we need to show him and all the others who give like that our respect for them as a loyal Pacers fans. Well done Mr. Lacy and the Best to you and your family for the next season. Go PACERS

58. By Al Neubauer on Feb 9, 2014 | Reply

Good job man you deserve it.

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Feb 1, 2014: Eddie Lacy Wins AP Offensive Rookie Player of The Year | HZT Blog