• Mon., Sep. 22, 2014 4:00 PM - 4:15 PM CDT Live McCarthy press conf. Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be available to the media on Monday, September 22, in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.
  • Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM CDT Humana playground build (morning session)

Scheduled to appear: Andrew Quarless and Casey Hayward

• Tue., Sep. 23, 2014 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Humana playground build (afternoon session) Scheduled to appear: Datone Jones and Micah Hyde
  • Sat., Sep. 27, 2014 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM CDT Packers Everywhere pep rally (Chicago)

Packers fans 21 years and older are invited to bring the spirit of Green Bay to Chicago a day early with a free Packers Everywhere Pep Rally. Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy will take part in the pre-gameday excitement by greeting fans and participating in a Q-and-A session with Wayne Larrivee, the radio voice of the Packers. Packers alumni Mark Chmura and Don Beebe will also be at the rally to socialize with fans, sign autographs and discuss their thoughts on the next day’s game against the Bears. A round-table discussion with Packers.com writers Vic Ketchman, Mike Spofford and the audience will conclude the event.

• Sun., Sep. 28, 2014 12:00 PM - 3:00 PM CDT Packers at Chicago Bears Packers at Chicago Bears
  • Wed., Oct. 01, 2014 2:30 PM - 4:00 PM CDT Alumni Appearance (Murphy, Koch) Mark Murphy and Greg Koch are scheduled to appear at the Packers Pro Shop on Wednesday, October 1st, from 2:30-4 p.m.

Packers cap draft with Jeff Janis, third wide receiver

Posted by Vic Ketchman, packers.com editor on May 10, 2014 – 5:26 pm

140510-janis-300GREEN BAY–The Packers capped their 2014 draft with another wide receiver, Jeff Janis of Sagnaw Valley State. Janis, 6-3, 219, is a big-body pass catcher and the last of three wide receivers selected by the Packers in this draft,

Janis turned a 4.42 40 at the combine and was projected by most draftniks to be drafted earlier than the final round. The lower level of competition in which Janis played, combined with the wealth of wide receiver talent in this draft, likely dropped Janis’ stock.

He caught 189 passes for more than 3,000 yards and including 31 touchdowns the past two seasons.

“Physical specimen. Looks the part. Can dominate but needs to improve his consistency,” packers.com draft analyst Tony Pauline said of Janis.

Packers.com has posted a more complete version of this story.

Tags: , , ,

47 Responses to “Packers cap draft with Jeff Janis, third wide receiver”

1. By rrfpacker on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I’m a bit baffled by this pick and the cornerback from Baylor. I thought the Packers had a big need at linebacker?

2. By Jeff H. on May 10, 2014 | Reply

obviously we do not have a need at ILB smfh oh well all in all I am pleased with our picks this year can not wait for football season now Go Pack

3. By Jack on May 10, 2014 | Reply

nice pick keeps us strong at wr

4. By PackerBacker on May 10, 2014 | Reply

A solid B for a draft grade. Reached a bit with third round picks, probably both available later. Would have liked to see another Safety, or an OT at some point, but WR was a big need and the Pack picks great WRs late. Another great job by the head office.

5. By allan on May 10, 2014 | Reply

packers picks were very weak it is about time they send someone else to draft t.t. has bcome to weak and predictable he has lost his drive other teams were on to his habitual ways and they capitalized on it

6. By Jared on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Draft by BAP not needs. I also fear the negotiations with Nelson and Cobb may not go as smooth as I’d like.

7. By PackerBacker on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Round 4 Bradford should fill need at ILB, maybe the steal of the draft.

8. By rapidrod on May 10, 2014 | Reply

This guy is a “diamond in the rough”…a strong kid who is a hard worker. I think the Packer Cheeseheads will take a liking to Jeff Janis

9. By Kris on May 10, 2014 | Reply

This kid is going to be scary!! If he stays consistent, he’s another Jordy Nelson.

10. By axespray on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Big Picture.
    Tramon and Jordy are nearly over 30 years old and on their last contracts, they’ll wanna get a big pay day.

So a Corner to compete for a backup job as we groom Casey and Micah as the compliments to Shields.

We’ve got 2 big wideouts that can both run block, we’ve got a small kick returner/slot guy.

We pick up a Tight End that’ll take over for Ryan Taylor.

I’m alright with this draft (would’ve loved Borland thou).

11. By Zak on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Overall I love this draft, not sold on the third round picks, but was a big fan of the rest. I see them moving Bradford to ILB to fill that need, if not that’s the one thing we may have missed on. Love how we’ve bolstered the WR depth, hope we can still extend jordy and cobb, but this can get us back to where we were with Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb and Finley, and provides insurance if one doesn’t get extended or Boykin struggles.

12. By chris on May 10, 2014 | Reply

3 WR and no ILB, you have to be kidding me, because thats what we needed, the biggest mistake in this draft was not taking borland with our second round pick, so are offense gets stronger but our defense is still weak, great job tt

13. By tom on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Some of you experts sure whine alot!!

14. By John on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Great draft Packers. Love the picks!!!! GO PACK!

15. By PackerBacker on May 10, 2014 | Reply

The Saints may have stolen Cooks from The Pack in the first round, but with the WR depth in this draft, and our need at S, it will probably end up working in the Packs favor. S, check…WR, check, check, check…ILB, CHECK…DE, check? TE, we’ll see.

16. By wiguyinmn on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I’ve had my eye on this guy since the combine. looks(and runs) like he could be Jordy’s younger brother!! I honestly wasn’t all that excited about this draft up until this one pick, but this guy gives me something to smile about.
    also, laughing at all those people who thought we wouldn’t draft any WRs this year.

17. By wiguyinmn on May 10, 2014 | Reply

btw, already got one ILB in UDFA per the JS, so be patient and trust the process. Max Bullough still out there as far as I know. would LOVE to get him in.

18. By Rick Dufer on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Ted Thompson nearly won a Super Bowl in Seattle , won one in Green Bay and there are those out there that are still doubting him. I for one will count myself among those that believe the man knows what he is doing and will always support him! Hit or miss, Ted has done a great job with this draft! Am excited for the mini-camps, training camp & the season to begin. Go Pack!

19. By Cheese on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Interesting…defense seems to be the issue in GB; yet, with the SEC defensive player of the year on the board in the seventh round TT takes a third WR. When someone is the SEC defensive POY and they’re available in the seventh round, combine numbers should go out the window–the guy can flat out play. Rather than getting more depth on D, they take a third WR.

20. By Cheese on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Ha Ha–like the pick, should help a lot.

Davante–not super explosive, but a perfect fit for catching the rockets Rodgers delivers. The guy catches everything.

Khyri–like the pick, but wonder if this could have been made a round later.

Carl–listed as an OLB…hopefully it’s a smooth adjustment to ILB because that’s where the real need is.

Corey–Needed a center, can’t complain about where he was taken.

Jared–I’ve always hated the type of player that Abbrederis is, but it’s because the guys he plays like have always been pesky, impossible to stop guys on other teams like Welker, Stokely in his prime, or Julian Edelman. I’m happy the guy is on our team because he’s the perfect slot guy that’s hard to cover.

Demetri–needed some more depth…good spot to add it.

Jeff–I seem to remember a couple WR’s being taken in the 7th round last year, and nothing came of them. Why not add an opportunity for more depth on defense here? Hope this works out.

21. By Cheese on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Forgot Richard–we’ll see…thought this could have been made a round later too. Thanks Jets, for snagging Amaro…

22. By M. La Londe on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I know this kid and worked with his uncle and told my daughter yesterday that he was the kind of guy the Pack takes late. His late dad would be proud and it really must cheese his family that he is a Packer, because they are all die hard Lions fans.

23. By Joseph Linna on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Know they need to sign Max Bullough as a free agent to add some more depth at the ILB position. I have seen him play many many times and he is a true ILB, has an NFL body, intelligent, and can really play. Reminds me of Brian Noble.

24. By DarwinsMyth on May 10, 2014 | Reply

I don’t know what people are drooling over. This is perhaps the worst draft I can remember, for the Packers. The Pack had a chance for OLB Khairi Fortt, who is fast, strong, hard-nosed, run-stopping, motor-never-stopping, linebacker. Instead, we selected a LB that isn’t nearly as good, in Carl Bradford. The videos I watched, showed me that Bradford was lazy, got pushed around, and couldn’t catch anyone from behind. Just because Bradford has long hair, doesn’t mean he’s plays like Clay Matthews. the N.O. Saints got themselves a great linebacker.

TE Richard Rodgers is another unbelievable pick. It was like, there wasn’t another TE in the draft to select. Joe Don Duncan would have been a better selection… I don’t care if he did have a fractured leg last year. That will heal.

The wide-receivers are good, but we could have had WR Dri Archer… a guy like Randall Cobb, but a LOT faster… whom would have probably solved our punt/kick return problems. I like Randal Cobb, but why take a chance at hurting him with returns?

If it wasn’t for Clinton-Dix falling to the Packers, the Packers would have had a GRADE F draft. The 49ers will have no trouble with the Packers this year, and we start off the season with the Seahawks. I hope that Peppers still has something in the tank.
    GRADE: C-

25. By DarwinsMyth on May 10, 2014 | Reply

Sorry… but I just watched some more Carl Bradford, and I’m changing my grade to a D+. Aargh!

26. By Mark on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Great to see all the white guys going to the Pack

27. By Guy guy on May 11, 2014 | Reply

This Grade was a B+ for me. Bradford is a stud and the WRs are all solid picks.

28. By Milt on May 11, 2014 | Reply

The.draft.didnt.go.exactly.as.I.would.have.liked.and.we.may.have.reached.a.little.in.the.third.but.we.got.good.value.in.the.later.rounds.and.they.did.address.all.of.our.needs.as.long.as.bradford.can.make.the.switch.to.inside.linebacker.Overall.not.a.bad.draft.GO.PACK.GO!

29. By Rick on May 11, 2014 | Reply

A+ Awesome draft!!

30. By Kevin K on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Was just watching the ESPN special giving draft grades. Todd McShay said he loves the Pack’s pick of Khyri in the 3rd rd. Everyone praised Adams and Bradford as well. Gave them a B overall, which is pretty good compared to all the teams that picked bottom half of the draft order. Most of the A grades are from the bad teams who picked high and were able to get more big names.

31. By brad on May 11, 2014 | Reply

nice draft at 1 and 2,,,,,my only concern is tight end and secondary,,,,we give up lots of yards,,,,and staying healthy

32. By Donne on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I feel 13 and 3 season on the horizon and Super Bowl win #5!! This man will contribute. Great addition.

33. By DarwinsMyth on May 11, 2014 | Reply

Perhaps, I was a bit harsh with the grade. I still see Bradford as only a marginal player, so I don’t feel the selection filled a need.

CB Demetri Goodson is questionable for me, because of his speed (4.52) and covering skills.

I really like the steal in the 7th, with WR Jeff Janis. The Packers didn’t go wrong with the WRs, although getting 3 may have been an overkill. Davante Adams’ speed doesn’t make him a homerun hitter, but he’s sure handed, and his great leaping ability helps him play bigger than he is. The weakest pick of the 3 is Jared Abrederis, who can only do 4 reps (x 225 lbs), which tells me, that he’s not going to be pushing any DBs out of the way, and with a vertical jump of 30 1/2″, he can’t jump as high as some offensive and defensive linemen, so his catching radius isn’t very big. He’s a sure catcher.

Corey Linsley seems to be a strong and capable center. TE Richard Rodgers isn’t much of a blocker. I couldn’t find much game video on DT Khyri Thornton… maybe, there’s not much to show?

Then, there’s Hasean Clinton-Dix, whom the Packers are fortunate enough to have fall into their laps at #21. He should fill the biggest need, nicely.

The players I like are… Clinton-Dix, Jeff Janis, and Davante Adams. And, I think, C Corey Linsley and LB Carl Bradford will be contributers.

So, I gave 2 low grades yesterday, that mostly showed my frustration for not getting the players I wanted, and they were still there to be had, when the Packers were on the clock. My revised grade is a C+, mainly because we seemed to have gotten a potential pro-bowl safety, and 2 good receivers who I see as potential starters. I can’t believe, internet sites are giving the Pack a GRADE: A. I wish I can be so convident.

Isn’t this fun playing armchair GM?

34. By Al Neubauer on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I think it was a good draft. Some time you get a good player and then sometimes you don’t. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

35. By Free Samples on May 11, 2014 | Reply

I am so tired of hearing all white receivers being compared to stokley, nelson, welker and so forth. Even that former Colt now on ESPN Polian. It is just flat out sickening to hear! Talk about over simplifying!!! Not too much bothers me, but this is just stupid!

36. By Free Samples on May 11, 2014 | Reply

This guy Janis is 6-3, 218, that is pretty damn big. He is a physical freak with speed and strength. I wonder if the Pack want to see if he could be a tight end? Talk about a matchup nightmare. He may have to gain 15 lbs.

37. By mike on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Short term memory!! Who is playing MLB is this 3-4? Hawk and Jones. Might I remind those people that the Bears chewed up the last 9 minutes of a game as we could not get off the field to get the ball back to the O. Three games ended due to not being able to get the ball back to the O. MLB was the NEED! If I have to see Forte and Bush line up at WR with Hawk trying to stay with him. Or just as bad Hawk ligning up to cover Vernon Davis. We got SCHOOLED by both Harbaughs in the draft! Dallas was RIPE to trade as they had no picks. Safety could of been addressed later. There was only two MLB’s worth drafting there was five safeties. Then to take a flyer on Martin the center is inexcuseable. He is a ROAD GRADER. With Lacy and Rodgers being the key these two mistakes are beyond belief. STUNNING how this draft went.

38. By lionsandvikingsandbearsohmy on May 12, 2014 | Reply

lots of experts commenting. how much does “football knowitall” pay if you don’t mind me asking?

39. By lionsandvikingsandbearsohmy on May 12, 2014 | Reply

you must get paid a lot to be such an obvious expert! why haven’t the packers called you for advice if you know more than they do??

40. By mike on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Hey Lionsandvikingsandbearsohmy – The FACTS speak for themselves..COULD NOT GET OFF THE FIELD!! 3rd and 15 with six minutes left in Detroit and Hawk is out wide against Bush with no help. Result 1st DOWN! Does not take 35 years of coaching (which I have) to suggest that is a matchup that does not work and did not. Mccoy, Forte, Bush eat the Green Bay middles alive!! Hawk has chance to make play against Bears to get off the field on 4th down with 5 minutes left. Does not happen. You run a 3-4 when you have two MLB’s who are stellar at getting to the ball and making plays CLOSE the line of scrimmage. That is purpose of the 3-4. Do not have to be a knowitall to understand intention of a defence. Fixing the D-Tackle situation will not make Hawk or Jones any faster!!! I think the Liona,Vikings and Bears are calling you!!

41. By wiguyinmn on May 12, 2014 | Reply

Lionsandvikingsandbearsohmy what’s tbe point in paying attention to the offseason moves if you’re not going to have an opinion?

42. By jpinaz on May 12, 2014 | Reply

WIGUYINMN….with 35 years of coaching, you would think you would know that in a 3-4, there is no MLB. There are two ILBs though.

With 35 years of coaching, you MUST be coaching at a high collegiate or pro level right?

43. By mike on May 13, 2014 | Reply

jpinaz – that is what you took out of that.. NICE!! They are actually two insides – Sam and Mike lbs. But I can tell that you are as intelligent in the language as lions and vikings. and yes earning a salary coaching and won championship last year as D-Coordinator. Feel free to inform me of your credentials.

Bottom line is the two INSIDE linebackers are weak and that is a MAJOR problem and has been for the last two years minimum. They are a matchup problem and other teams know this. Jpinaz and lionsvikings would like to keep their heads in the sand and say oh not a big deal. Mccoy/Sproles, forte, bush/ebron and this is a situation that the Pack will give up huge plays on. Good Luck jpinaz

44. By Steve Hershberger on May 13, 2014 | Reply

I live in Texas, and the Baylor defensive backs were all really good. This pick was a good move at this late in the draft.

The linebacker situation is a big concern. Bradford is a decent move, may not be enough, though.

45. By Ed on May 14, 2014 | Reply

I hope there will be someone (or some defensive formation)among the Packers who be able to contain Colin ‘runs like the wind’ Kaepernik when they meet again. He sure made us look silly, but at least we’re gradually closing the gap with the final score the past 2 years.

46. By David Camp on May 16, 2014 | Reply

It is possible that in a year with fewer wide receivers to choose from, the three the Packers drafted this year might have been first, second, and third round picks. If Janis makes the team and eventually becomes a 1,000 yard receiver, he would not be our first seventh round pick to do so. Driver turned out pretty good for a seventh round pick. Right now I see four running backs (plus Kuhn) and six receivers I’d like to see on the roster. I kind of doubt we’ll keep four running backs and six wide receivers, but it is good to have depth when you look at how many receivers and running backs can get injured during training camp and during the season.

47. By Dan on May 21, 2014 | Reply

Overall, I’m not crazy about the Packers’ draft, but Janis will likely be the biggest steal of the draft…in the entire league. Mark my words, he will be a star in a few years, and just like Driver, people will say “wow, you found him in the seventh round?”.