Sunday evening practice report

Posted by Mike Spofford on August 1, 2010 – 9:34 pm

All the players who sat out Sunday’s morning workout and are on the one-a-day schedule returned to practice. That group was WR Brett Swain, S Derrick Martin, LB Nick Barnett, T Mark Tauscher, T Chad Clifton and DE Ronald Talley. Also, CB Jarrett Bush and C Evan Dietrich-Smith both returned to the field after dropping out of the morning workout with cramps.

S Will Blackmon, who is coming off reconstructive knee surgery, practiced in the morning but sat out the evening workout. His one-a-day schedule is opposite Martin’s for now so both safeties don’t miss the same practice.

LB Brad Jones (bruised back) remained out, as did the three players on PUP —  S Atari Bigby (ankle), CB Al Harris (knee) and RB James Starks (hamstring).

Practice got off to a rousing start with a short-yardage team period that featured a pretty hefty collision between FB Quinn Johnson and Martin.

The QBs played the hoop game, where they try to loft throws into a raised hoop that is placed at the right pylon near the goal line. Aaron Rodgers put three throws into the hoop from about 15 yards away before the QBs backed up to around 40-45 yards. From the longer distance, Rodgers dropped one in, while Matt Flynn and Graham Harrell both hit the rim on back-to-back tosses.

TE Jermichael Finley made a couple of ankle-breaking stutter-step moves to get open against Martin during the  TE-S one-on-one pass coverage drill. It was almost unfair, especially against a defender coming back from an ankle injury.

The TEs and OLBs competed in a one-on-one blocking drill that got pretty spirited, right in front of the bleachers on the east side of Ray Nitschke Field. The TEs were declared the winning side and were presented with a championship belt as their trophy.

During team (11-on-11) work, Rodgers fit a difficult throw into WR Donald Driver on a crossing route with S Morgan Burnett in tight coverage. A couple of snaps later, WR Charles Dillon nearly made a circus catch against Bush on a fly route from Flynn.

Rodgers then beat a blitz from CB Pat Lee by hitting WR Jordy Nelson on a short seam route, and moments later Harrell completed a similar pass to TE Andrew Quarless. Upon making the catch, Quarless collided with S Charlie Peprah, but unlike when he took a shot from LB Desmond Bishop on Saturday, this time Quarless kept his feet and Peprah got the worst of it.

During 7-on-7 work, Burnett nearly got his second interception of the day when he hauled in a pass deflected into the air by secondary mate Lee, but as Burnett made the catch he was ruled out of bounds. Later, Rodgers connected with WR James Jones on an impressive deep ball.

K Mason Crosby went 6-of-9 during the first FG period of camp. Beginning his kicks at 28 yards and gradually increasing all the way out to 53, with some of them against special team coordinator Shawn Slocum’s audible ticking clock, Crosby missed one from 40 yards and two from 45, all wide left. He did make his final two, from 50 and 53. After practice, Head Coach Mike McCarthy felt the kicking “operation” wasn’t all that smooth, but he indicated he would stick with one of the punters being Crosby’s holder.

During the final couple of team periods, Allen Barbre took some snaps in Daryn Colledge’s place as the LG on the No. 1 offensive line.

CB Charles Woodson got his second INT in as many days with a nifty snag of a throw off Swain’s shoulder on a short crossing pattern. Woodson later batted down another pass playing like a linebacker near the line of scrimmage.

More cramping cropped up late, as Burnett, Martin and Peprah all had some issues, leading to the final handful of plays being cut out of practice.

Check out for today’s feature story and the daily Training Camp Report. The next practice is Monday at 2 p.m.

Posted in Blog
blog comments powered by Disqus
%d bloggers like this: