Packers trail by three after three quarters

Posted by Vic Ketchman, editor on January 5, 2014 – 5:58 pm


GREEN BAY–The Packers trailed, 13-10, following a scoreless third quarter that was dominated by defense.

The Packers defense started the second half with a statement three and out, and the Packers took possession at their 44-yard line, trailing 13-10, but the Packers went nowhere and had to punt. The 49ers got the ball at their 18.

It was announced that Sam Shields and Mike Neal were out for the remainder of the game following knee injuries they sustained in the first quarter.

Colin Kaepernick made the first big play of the second half with a 16-yard scramble. Kaepernick then pitched a 22-yard pass to Michael Crabtree, first down at the Packers 41.

A pass to Anthony Dixon gained 10 and a first down, and the 49ers had moved into field goal range. Making matters worse, Andy Mulumba sustained an injury, further depleting an already depleted outside linebacker position. He would be replaced by defensive lineman Datone Jones, the Packers’ first-round draft choice.

On a critical third-and-5 play, Kaepernick was sacked by Nick Perry. The 49ers elected to punt and Andy Lee’s punt was fair caught at the 16.

Two runs by James Starks gained a first down, but an Aldon Smith sack made it second-and-18, an Ahmad Brooks sack followed and Aaron Rodgers could do little more than attempt a desperation bomb for Jordy Nelson that fell incomplete. The 49ers took possession at their 49.

The Packers defense followed with another three and out and the 49ers had to punt in a game that was increasingly being dominated by defense as the temperature dropped. With 3:19 to play in the third quarter, the temperature was 3 degrees.

Eddie Lacy moved the Packers to near midfield, the crowd chanting, “Eddie, Eddie, Eddie.” His 3-yard run gave the Packers a first down at the Packers 46.

The Packers were at the 49ers 38 when the third quarter ended.

Posted in Blog
blog comments powered by Disqus
%d bloggers like this: