News now! Packers hold 27-14 lead after three quarters

Posted by Vic Ketchman, editor on August 28, 2014 – 8:35 pm

GREEN BAY–Matt Flynn threw his second touchdown pass of the night and the Packers led the Chiefs, 27-14, after three quarters of play at Lambeau Field on Thursday night.

Flynn was the Packers’ quarterback at the start of the second half. He shot a 19-yard completion to tight end Ryan Taylor and the Packers had a first down at their 48. The drive was halted, however, when Flynn threw incomplete for tight end Jake Stoneburner on fourth-and-4.

Rookie phenom Jayrone Elliott was injured on the Chiefs’ next possession, but he was able to walk off the field under his own power and later returned to the game. The Packers forced a punt and took possession at their 6-yard line.

Flynn began the drive with a sideline dart to Kevin Dorsey. A bomb for rookie wide receiver Jeff Janis resulted in a pass-interference penalty against the Chiefs, and the Packers had a first down at the Chiefs 44.

Rookie running back LaDarius Perkins broke loose for an 18-yard run around left end and a late hit moved the ball to the Chiefs 11. Flynn’s screen pass to Perkins on the next play covered the remaining distance to the end zone. It was Flynn’s second touchdown pass of the night and the Packers led, 27-7, with 6:23 to play in the third quarter.

Cornerback Jumal Rolle intercepted an Aaron Murray pass, but a roughing-the-passer penalty against Andy Mulumba nullified the interception and gave the Chiefs a first down at the Packers 48. Flags were flying fast and furiously, as they have all through the preseason. Nearly every play ended with a yellow flag on the ground.

The Packers were flagged for illegal hands to the face on fourth-and-5, and the Chiefs had a first down at the Packers 12. Joe McKnight scored on a 1-yard run with :03 to play in the quarter.

Jeff Janis returned the ensuing kickoff 62 yards.




Posted in Blog
blog comments powered by Disqus
%d bloggers like this: