News now! Packers rally to hold lead after three quarters

Posted by Vic Ketchman, editor on September 14, 2014 – 6:09 pm


GREEN BAY–The Packers rallied for 15 points in the third quarter and held a 31-24 lead heading into the fourth quarter of today’s game at Lambeau Field.

The Jets received the second-half kickoff but it pinned them against the sideline and they started at their 5. Geno Smith moved the sticks with a completion to Eric Decker. Mike McCarthy challenged the call and lost, which cost the Packers a time out. Two plays later, Julius Peppers forced a fumble by Smith and the Packers recovered at the Jets 15. The play was reviewed and it was ruled a pass. Eventually, the Jets punted.

A short Tim Masthay punt allowed the Jets to begin their next drive at their 24.  The Packers loaded the box and stopped the run, forcing another punt. It was likely a halftime adjustment. The Packers took possession at their 33 with 9:25 to play in the third quarter.

An 11-yard pass to Jordy Nelson put the Packers near midfield. Two Eddie Lacy runs moved the sticks. Then Rodgers and Nelson connected for one of the big plays in the game, a 33-yard completion to the Jets 10. A pass to Davante Adams carried to the 1, third down. Rodgers pitched an easy-looking touchdown pass to Randall Cobb and the Packers had the lead for the first time with 5:45 to play in the third quarter. Rodgers and Cobb then connected for a 2-point conversion, 24-21. Muhammad Wilkerson was ejected for a post-conversion fight.

Smith moved the Jets across midfield and the Jets had a first down at the Packers 38. Nick Folk faced a 52-yard field goal attempt to tie the game; his kick was good, 24-24 with 2:21 to play in the third quarter.

It only took one play for the Packers to regain the lead. Rodgers hit Nelson for 80 yards, 31-24.

The Packers escaped a Jets interception in the final minute of the quarter when the visitors were called for too many men on the field.








Posted in Blog
blog comments powered by Disqus
%d bloggers like this: