Nearly 1,000 festive fans turned out for the first tailgate party at La Crosse’s Oktoberfest Festgrounds.
Fun was had for fans of all ages as the event’s younger attendees enjoyed an archery range, inflatables, face painting and music.
During the event’s question-and-answer session, Mason Crosby got the crowd going with an enthusiastic answer.
Question: “How did the victory in Super Bowl XLV change you?”
Crosby said, “It makes me want to win more!”
The event benefited Children of the Heart, a group of family and friends of people with Down syndrome. More information on the organization can be found online at www.dscoth.org.
According to the organization’s president, Angie Dummer, the event’s impact will go beyond the fiscal support.
“This will help us get our name more recognized in the community,” she said. “We have a walk in October that should be even more successful with this event.”
For Marco Rivera, the party it was an enjoyable end to his first day on the tour.
“It’s been a lot of fun,” he said. “Seeing the expressions on all the faces is great. It’s what Packers football is all about. It’s about the fans.
“The visit to the VA was awesome, too. The Vietnam Vet gave me his beret…what an honor that was. No matter what happens the next five days, that was the icing on the cake.”
Another first-time tour member, Crosby, enjoyed his initial experience as well.
“It was a great day, especially the surprise visit at the high school,” he said. “The VA visit was special, too. Many of them fought for our freedom for so long. It was an honor to meet them.”
Day 2 awaits.
Click here to see photos from the La Crosse tailgate party.
Tags: la crosse, packers tailgate tour, tailgate party
Posted in Packers.com Blog, Tailgate Tour
What? An event that raises money for charities in five cities over five days. Each evening Tailgate Tour party will benefit the hosting non-profit organization and will feature a flavor of famous Lambeau Field tailgating food, giveaways, tour celebrity question-and-answer sessions, and autographs.
When? May 15-19.
Who? Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy, wide receiver Jordy Nelson, kicker Mason Crosby and safety Charlie Peprah, along with former Packers Marco Rivera, William Henderson, and Larry McCarren.
Where? The tour will make stops in La Crosse (May 15), Madison (May 16), Kenosha (May 17), Cedarburg/Grafton (May 18) and Sturgeon Bay (May 19), with evening tailgate parties held in each city to support a local non-profit organization.
How can I get tickets? Official tailgate party tickets can be purchased for $30. General admission tickets also will be available for $5, which includes access to the Q-and-A sessions as well as tailgate party activities. Food and beverage will be available for purchase. Due to space limitations, no general admission tickets will be available in Kenosha.Tickets for the tailgate parties are on sale. ‘Green Bay Packers Tailgate Tour’ evening tailgate party locations, hosting organizations and ticket information are as follows: (6 to 8:30 p.m. in each city):
- La Crosse: Oktoberfest Southside Fest-grounds. To benefit the Children of the Heart. Tickets on sale at Festival Foods locations at 1260 Crossing Meadows drive, Onalaska, and 2500 State Rd., La Crosse, in the Village Shopping Center.
- Madison: Alliant Center. To benefit the Ronald McDonald House Charities. Tickets on sale only through http://www.TicketWeb.com, TicketMaster, or by calling 866-777-8932.
- Kenosha: Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha. To benefit Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha. Tickets on sale at Boys & Girls Club of Kenosha, 1330 52nd St.
- Cedarburg/Grafton: Grafton High School. To benefit Portal, Inc. Tickets on sale at Portal, Inc., 1015 Cedar Creek Rd., Grafton, with information available at http://www.portalinc.org.
- Sturgeon Bay: Sunset Park. To benefit Habitat for Humanity. Tickets on sale at Marchant’s Foods, County Highway DK, Brussels; Main Street Market, 7770 State Rd. 42, Egg Harbor; Pick n’ Save,1847 Egg Harbor Rd., Sturgeon Bay; and Door County Habitat for Humanity, 410 N. 14th Ave., Sturgeon Bay.
Tags: cedarburg/grafton, kenosha, la crosse, madison, packers tailgate tour, sturgeon bay
Posted in Packers.com Blog, Tailgate Tour